We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

check your car insurance renewal

conrail

Likes # 0

late January last I was asked by my car insurance company about an alleged accident on a garage forecourt over 300 miles from where I live, at the time of the accident I was visiting my home town, 15 miles from where I live and driving down what I thought was a 40 mph road, not realising that it had been changed to 30 mph where I received my first speeding ticket in 44 years, I asked the police for the photo which they duly sent, I sent a copy of this to my insurance company to prove it wasn't me or my car in the accident, they accepted this. On receiving the renewal notice I noticed it said on there, '11th January 2011 - accident - fault', the premium had gone up from just over £200 to £800, I contacted them and they admitted I wasn't at fault but they could not remove the offending item, this was also the reason for the big increase in cost. After many phone calls to remove this item, without success, I contacted the ombudsman who was very helpful, giving me a name to contact, they also contacted him. I finally have the thing removed not only from this company’s details but also the national database where they all go on. They also admitted that they had viewed CCTV which shows that the registration number was slightly different from mine and the car was a different make although this was never pointed out to me at the time. Luckily my new insurance company were very helpful and understanding when I explained everything to them. I recommend everybody to check their renewal policy very carefully and although it cost me £60 for my speeding ticket it help prove I wasn’t where they claimed I was I believe this was £60 well spent.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

try this link http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/totaltyreguide/259435/wintertyretest.html

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for replies guys, I wasn't happy with getting a speeding tocket Simsy but it did prove I wasn't involved in the 'accident'. regarding the tyres thing, another thing to consider is 'tools of your trade', my wife is a teacher and I mentioned years ago that she may have to transport pupile/staff and she has a school laptop, it has never happened yet, but I was told that I would need business cover for her, even if she carries a school pensil she needs to have cover, that extra cover has never cost more than £3 on the premium, apparently teachers are a good risk

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...