We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

check your car insurance renewal

conrail

Likes # 0

late January last I was asked by my car insurance company about an alleged accident on a garage forecourt over 300 miles from where I live, at the time of the accident I was visiting my home town, 15 miles from where I live and driving down what I thought was a 40 mph road, not realising that it had been changed to 30 mph where I received my first speeding ticket in 44 years, I asked the police for the photo which they duly sent, I sent a copy of this to my insurance company to prove it wasn't me or my car in the accident, they accepted this. On receiving the renewal notice I noticed it said on there, '11th January 2011 - accident - fault', the premium had gone up from just over £200 to £800, I contacted them and they admitted I wasn't at fault but they could not remove the offending item, this was also the reason for the big increase in cost. After many phone calls to remove this item, without success, I contacted the ombudsman who was very helpful, giving me a name to contact, they also contacted him. I finally have the thing removed not only from this company’s details but also the national database where they all go on. They also admitted that they had viewed CCTV which shows that the registration number was slightly different from mine and the car was a different make although this was never pointed out to me at the time. Luckily my new insurance company were very helpful and understanding when I explained everything to them. I recommend everybody to check their renewal policy very carefully and although it cost me £60 for my speeding ticket it help prove I wasn’t where they claimed I was I believe this was £60 well spent.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

conrail...your advice is very welcome.I do not have a car...now...so I will never receive a parkin' ticket, I hope.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This sort of 'added to database' incident was shown on the BBC Watchdog program. It doesn't only apply to motor vehicles, but other insurances as well, and you usually don't know about it, until renewal time.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

conrail sympathies too you! i have a slightly different situation but it relates too the issue with the police, 4 years ago whilst i was out on a night out with the wife we had got a taxi home to our rented two bed flat, the landlady goes to bed around 10 everynight so we arrived home at 2am but we had some how lost our keys? must of been when we was sat down for the meal?

Anyway we had to gain access to the side door which was just a rotten external door, the lock on it was tiny like the one you would see in a toilet just a little latch, So rather then force the landlady up i made the mistake of putting a little weight on the gate popping it open, the deal was i would replace the lock the next day & apologise to the landlady who was also a good friend of ours, so the next issue was getting in the flat which i remember i had left a ground floor window open so i got in and opened the door for the wife,

After five minutes we got a knock at the door? who could it be at that time? it was the police! the landlady didnt realise it was us & thought it was intruders so all was explained and they left after 15 minutes, some time later maybe a week or so i got a letter stating i had to goto the local police station? i couldnt go due to work commitments as i worked away at the time so a week later the wife called me and told me the police had been to the house demanding to see me?

When i had days off i came home and went to the police station they told me that although the landlady had in fact dropped any charges and that i had stated i would pay the £6 for the lock in fact the police wanted to charge me with criminal damage???

I went nuts over this! i said this is over the top reaction from the police & their reply was simple that i had to go for an interview with the Sergent in three days time who would discus my options? all three of us including the landlady was appalled by this behavior from the police..after sitting and getting a grilling over the incident i was told by the police officers to "Beg him to let you off keep saying your very sorry" was their exact words..so i did what i was advised and the Sergent after much humming and arring told me to come back the next day & he will make a decision..

So it ended up been a couple of months until this was all sorted out & the next day i was asked by the Sergent "IF i would do this again" to which i replied "never!" he let me off with a caution.....but i was totally disgusted with all the time & paperwork this wasted...

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

& just too add the "Caution" although this was four years ago somehow is STILL on my Enhanced CRB so in the future it looks like ive been a criminal? with "Criminal Damage" on it.?? i thought Cautions are taken off after 3 years?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Some years ago my wife reversed out and hit a bus as it came round a corner just touching it's front bumper. 5p sized mark on her bumper nothimg on the bus. Despite telling the insurance company that the police wanted the file as it was obvious fraud they piad out £900 for damage to the rear of the bus. Police said oce they did that it baecame a civil matter.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

There's some irony going on here; "Speeding helps reduce insurance premium"!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some years ago my wife had a Motability car (never again!).

When it went in for one of its services the garage (Halfords) made a claim on Motability's insurance for a few hundred pounds for scratches on the bodywork.

When I was asked for my excess, and to take the car in for the work to be done I asked for these scratches to be pointed out to me.

They couldn't find them and the claim was, eventually, dropped.

Next renewal I found I had lost my NCB as a result of this "claim", and it took me years (literally, three of rem) to get it back.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention about vehicle insurance. But of late, there as been a number of articles about the possibility of people changing over to 'snow tyres' for winter use. If you do not notify your insurance company of this change or modification, you could find that your insurance cover is not valid.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

I don't think you need to advise your insurance company if you just change the tyres on the existing wheels. You do need to tell them if you change the wheels in the process, some companies suggest fitting snow tyres to low cost steel wheels for convenience. The insurance companies will argue that this is an after-market enhancement and will probably charge you about £20 plus a service charge. I believe some are slowly beginning to accept that this is a cretinous practise and are looking at adopting a more logical approach, probably in the year 2030.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

This is a small extract from a much lager document,

Under an ABI commitment ABI member insurers representing 90% of the motor insurance market confirm that they will not charge any additional premium if winter tyres are fitted, provided that the tyres meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition.

But it is better to inform your insurer you are going to fit because some of them will try anything to get out of paying.

Don't know if you have seen this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=snow%20tyre%20test&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoexpress.co.uk%2Fproducts%2Ftotaltyreguide%2F259435%2Fwintertyretest.html&ei=NmzgTpytNoKm8gPj8d3MBA&usg=AFQjCNEvjDYbOqLQs1RvHCMaYYahv4UQ but it's worth while watching

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite