We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defibrillators

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Did anyone catch the piece on radio 2's jeremy vine show yesterday (monday) on defibrillators? I was totally absorbed by it (to the extent that I pulled into a customers yard but didnt get out to book in until it finished). To say that it was a revelation was an understatement. I always though that they were big clumsy things on trolleys to be found in hospitals, that needed to be kept plugged into the mains when not in use and had paddles the size of small steam irons. I've seen some defibs (not many) in a couple of firms I've been to and always thought they were there more for show than anything else (although I still have my lingering doubts about some of the places given the amount of dust on the cases. I cant help but wonder if they still work, if anyone has checked the batteries this year.).

My own first aid training was quite a while back and although I remember it well and have had to put it to use on a number of occasions there was nothing at all about defibs. To be honest I would never have dreamed of trying to use one either even if it was appropriate to do so, partly through fear of incorrect use and destabilising a perfectly normal heart, and sadly in this day and age either being sued by the person I was trying to help or being arrested for assault!

You can imagine my surprise to learn that using them is as nearly idiot proof as its possible to make. Diagrams of where to attatch the electrodes - I had assumed you placed them on the chest. Comes from watching too many medical dramas on tv. Then all you do is turn it on and the machine itself performs a diagnosis on the heart and only admisters a shock when appropriate, so you cant get it wrong.

If anyone has the opportunity to, I would strongly recommend listening to it via iplayer.

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

We often hear about the NHS, but seldom hear about the volunteers who carry out regular duties for the NHS, including emergency service requests.

In three of the villages near to where I live, some of the community have undertaken training as first call out responders, who attend urgent calls before the paramedics arrive. The defibrillator devices they have, plus other items, were purchased via the local community fund raising efforts.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I always laugh when watching a "medical drama" on TV & the Doc removes the patients shirt & then produces the defib paddles which they rub together first,especially on older programs such as Angels or early Casualty episodes(my Mother was a Nurse for most of her working life & we were subjected to many of these medical dramas)although not entirely older dramas as a recent episode of C.S.I had the paddles being rubbed together.On modern debibs I would imagine that the paddles contacting each other wouldn't be too serious,but early machines where the Dr utters "charging!" before rubbing them together would probably destroy the machine.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

The rubbing together of the paddles was to spread the 'Gel' over them before the days of the 'salmons' gel patches which they use today.

As there would be no electricity going to the paddles at the time, there would be no real danger. They had to press the switches on both paddles to cause the discharge.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Our council bought one to save lives, and installed it in the Town Hall. At the time, Accident & Emergency was just over the road from the Town Hall, but that was before they closed the hospital. When they invested in CCTV to cut crime, the cameras were trained on the Town Hall car park.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014