We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defibrillators

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Did anyone catch the piece on radio 2's jeremy vine show yesterday (monday) on defibrillators? I was totally absorbed by it (to the extent that I pulled into a customers yard but didnt get out to book in until it finished). To say that it was a revelation was an understatement. I always though that they were big clumsy things on trolleys to be found in hospitals, that needed to be kept plugged into the mains when not in use and had paddles the size of small steam irons. I've seen some defibs (not many) in a couple of firms I've been to and always thought they were there more for show than anything else (although I still have my lingering doubts about some of the places given the amount of dust on the cases. I cant help but wonder if they still work, if anyone has checked the batteries this year.).

My own first aid training was quite a while back and although I remember it well and have had to put it to use on a number of occasions there was nothing at all about defibs. To be honest I would never have dreamed of trying to use one either even if it was appropriate to do so, partly through fear of incorrect use and destabilising a perfectly normal heart, and sadly in this day and age either being sued by the person I was trying to help or being arrested for assault!

You can imagine my surprise to learn that using them is as nearly idiot proof as its possible to make. Diagrams of where to attatch the electrodes - I had assumed you placed them on the chest. Comes from watching too many medical dramas on tv. Then all you do is turn it on and the machine itself performs a diagnosis on the heart and only admisters a shock when appropriate, so you cant get it wrong.

If anyone has the opportunity to, I would strongly recommend listening to it via iplayer.

WTM

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is Barrow-in-Furness particularly noted for having a high incidence of spontaneous street corner heart attacks...?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

According to the article, yes, quote :

"He said: “I’m quite disappointed actually that Barrow has had to be selected for this. Because of our past history it means we are one of the worst towns in the country for cardiac arrest."

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I liked the comment made by the MD on the show where she observed, almost casually, that all 'malls' have them as a result of overweight Americans having heart attacks in them.

A bit of social comment that could be coming our way perhaps??

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

We were trained to use them before I left the fire service in 2008. All London fire appliances carry them now.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

In Argyll they've installed one in the local phone kiosk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15613218

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Press button B for a minor attack, A for...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...can you get a similar device to revive a brain that is 'not in gear'?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They sold out last week.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My wife knows an ambulance driver who regularly arrives at her clinic with heart attack victims. She (the ambulance driver) says that if every shop, bank, supermarket etc. had a defibrillator on the premises, and someone trained in its use, thousands of lives might be saved every year.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK