We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIRDS...I saw ten variaties in my snowy garden...are you feeding 'em?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I set up eight feeding stations, in my spot at the back of my house,using branches of trees, I had cut off from a big tree nearby. Robins, magpies, starlings, blue-tits, pidgeons, wood-pidgeons, crows...so far.

How do those little creatures survive?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are finding that its getting rather expensive in purchasing bird feed in small handy quantities, like 1kg wild bird seed packets (£1.00) or bird balls at 5/6 for a £1.00, then consider asking your local pet shop the price for bulk buys on bird feeding items. They might delivery for free.

The cost of wheat and similar seeds or feed have increased considerably this year, so its going to cost the consumer more, with perhaps a knock-on effect to the people who are attempting to feed wildlife.

Our last supply of mixed wild bird seed was £11.98 for 20kg bags (£10.25 earlier this year) and bird balls at £6.55/£7.55 for a tub of 50 (£5.99 earlier this year). Toxin certified free Peanuts 900gm bag £1.00 or 10kg bags for £8.50. We get through a bag/tub of each about every 4/6 weeks, so quite a saving can be made, if you feed regular.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

They are eating me out of house and home! All gone in a couple of hours. Put out twice a day. Lots of varieties. There is a tomcat which I have to consistently chase away which is a pain. Nothing seems to deter him for coming in my garden and sometimes hiding behind the bushes. Never get near enough to it to chuck water at it though. Don't mind cats generally but I hate them killing and torturing birds once caught. I am a dog person.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not feeding or looking after birds, but this morning shortly after the above post, I did the usual security checks around my premises. Found a large active Hedgehog, so I covered it in leaves and placed some recently cooked chopped liver in front of it. Checking this morning at 8.30am, the Hedgehog had vanished, and the food hadn't been touched.

Around my neck of the woods, the temperature seems to be very unstable. Yesterday there was both cold and warm air currents. Today its windy, with still relative warm/cold air currents about. The larger bird populations seem to be eating well, as do the squirrel's, but the smaller birds of different varieties seem to be not all that bothered with the full feed containers.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Because of the high wind at the moment I haven't seen as many birds about. Does anybody know what they do, or where they go in this wild weather? Do they just find a semi sheltered spot in a tree and hang on for dear life? I can just picture them swinging around a branch like a spinning top. Hope they like it....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Sea Gulls like strong wids, they can just hang in the air for hours with no effort.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

n, self inserting letters kit...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do