We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIRDS...I saw ten variaties in my snowy garden...are you feeding 'em?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I set up eight feeding stations, in my spot at the back of my house,using branches of trees, I had cut off from a big tree nearby. Robins, magpies, starlings, blue-tits, pidgeons, wood-pidgeons, crows...so far.

How do those little creatures survive?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I am a strictly Mackeral man - Brumas.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

thanks Forum Editor, My bird feeding stations, will now include, fresh water, drinking areas for the birds.

I love helping the wild birds, cos I can see 'em from my window.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I have re-read your good advice about fresh water for birds in winter, and I will carry it through, for all the wild birds about.

I love BIRDS.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you think it might be a good idea to collect your thoughts and make one post, rather than lots of separate posts as thoughts pop into your head?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

One of the species that I saw in the garden last Sunday afternoon was a Heron, I didn't need to worry about feeding it as it had just helped itself to a free Sunday lunch of several goldfish and a shubumpkin... all within the space of 10 minutes!

Now I've got lines with fluttering jam tart foils over the pond for the winter again. Stable doors and bolted horses I believe it's called...

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I suppose it is a bit of a chore keeping a supply of fresh water available during cold spells. But I think there is probably a device of some sort available which will keep water from freezing. I've got the front glass door of an old washing machine out in my garden, which my couple of red squirrels have used for the past couple of years. But in winter I often wonder if there is some way of sticking a "night light" underneath it, to stop it freezing. Maybe somebody knows of something that would be suitable, because it would have to be a calm night for the candle to remain lit. I have never seen the birds use it though. The squirrels have a good long drink after they have cleared the bird table of more or less everything.

Brumas. You know I am not drinking at the moment... Besides the Liver Birds are Blue to the core with blue blood running through their veins.

All I can say is get singing (whilst feeding) the song "Feed The Birds" even if it costs a bit more than tuppence a bag.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I've been putting out bread and broken digestive and rich tea biscuits out, and I have a tall (Although a young cat could still leap over it, if it could be bothered) bird bath in the garden that I keep clean and replenished. I'm convinced that the same flock of starlings grabs most of the food. They're normally straight down for it. I usually put out a second course while they're away off feeding, for the smaller birds to peck at.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have a problem with a pair of Wood Pigeons resident nearby.

As soon as food is put out, including stuff which is not supposed to attract pigeons, they wolf the lot.

It can be quite frustrating.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd - Custom-built bird-feeder stations, might rectify the wood pidgeon 'bullies' problem.

Regarding the use of 'well washed mackeral tins' as feeders/water wells...

I use them for 2 or 3 days, then put them in the re-cycle bin...no washing!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm, you said - birds are either very fussy or very sloppy...

It's a bit like speaker's corner...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback