We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIRDS...I saw ten variaties in my snowy garden...are you feeding 'em?

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I set up eight feeding stations, in my spot at the back of my house,using branches of trees, I had cut off from a big tree nearby. Robins, magpies, starlings, blue-tits, pidgeons, wood-pidgeons, crows...so far.

How do those little creatures survive?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think I spend more money on feeding my dickie birds than I do on myself. Mind you watching them is better than watching the TV. Yesterday I had a lovely woodpecker in the garden. It had red on its head and on its belly area. No doubt someone on the forum will tell me what make it is. You can tell I am not "Twitter" or whatever they are called.

I feed them because I am trying to atone for collecting birds eggs when i was a toddler many years ago.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Magpies can boss little birds about,like pidgeons, starlings,and sparrows & the like.WOOD PIDGEONS are much bigger than magpies, and don't get bothered.The Sea-Gulls have not landed yet.Robins are my favourite bird.

All of these bird's die when it gets very cold.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 'tweets' of the dawning birds are always a welcoming sound to my ears.

In response, I feed 'em.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I'm not a twitter but it sound like a Great spotted woodpecker Click here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The birds seem to like seeds in suet, that's the word goin' about.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau I reckon you had had too many dark'n'stormies and what you saw was this click here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bird Talk - Empty Aluminium Mackeral Cans ( after they have been cleaned, thourally, make very good BIRD SEED containers, if placed, ornithalocally, in the right spots. I've got about 68 mackeral cans to convert into bird feeding stations.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, surely it would be better to use old Bird's Custard tins? ;o}

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Brumas - I will let the birds see what's what.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"All of these bird's die when it gets very cold."

No they don't. Birds are well equipped to survive the cold. What kills them is a lack of water and food.

Feeding birds in cold weather can certainly help them to survive, but it is equally important to provide a source of ice-free water. I see lots of birds visiting my pond in winter - far more than in the summer months. They're there for the water.

If you feed the birds make sure you never give them any fat from cooking, or any vegetable oils. Don't give them anything that has salt added either, and never offer milk; birds can't digest it and they may die. Cheese is OK, in fact your favourite Robins will love it.

Make sure you clear up any bird food that goes mouldy - Salmonella can breed on it, and birds can get food poisoning, or even die if they eat it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'