We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Jacques Delors: Euro was flawed from beginning

peter99co

Likes # 0

BBC Link

Now he tells us!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

The ordinary man and woman in Germany feel just the same as we do in this country about the Euro. They have hated it from the beginning. My German friends tell me it has caused inflation on a big scale over there. Like when we decimalised in this country everything shot up in price from day one of the change over and has kept rising.

As for the politicians of all European countries, well. They are all in it for the money of course. But fighting against each other in a different sort of war.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I thought my comments would "Put the cat among the pidgeons". I like everyone else have their own opinions, I wanted to get a discussion going. Some people get too bound up with their own opinion and think theirs is right with no counter opinion at this moment. My point is I do not want the electorate of the rest Europe and an unelected commission legislating on my behalf and be unable to do anything about it. At least I and like thinking people do have the ability to vote a new government to rectify a problem that does not suit the UK. There have been comments stating the introduction of the Euro has caused inflation in those countries, I also have seen that result. Another point the European parliment is so prolifigate with it's spending, the accountants for many years have been unwilling to approve the accounts as being True and Accurate. Obviously there are many "Snouts in the trough" in Brussels siphonig money off to their advantage. Where have we heard that before?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"Like when we decimalised in this country everything shot up in price from day one of the change over and has kept rising."

The increase in the cost of living has nothing to do with decimalising currency, it would have happened if we had retained our previous system.

Likewise, the introduction of the Euro in Germany hasn't been the cause of "inflation on a big scale". The German inflation rate fluctuates, as it does in other countries, and in fact it fell quite sharply a year after the introduction of the Euro (in 2002).

Between 2004 and 2007 it stayed more or less at the level it had been in 2000, two years prior to the Euro. It climbed pretty steeply in 2008, and then fell to a ten year low in 2009.In 2010 it was back at the 1999 level.

Your German friends have not been looking at the facts.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

peter99co So sorry to hijack ur thread! but i just had to reply to "morddwyd" who said "I am a God fearing Christian gent I'll have you know!".??? & so is my wife.? been positive shouldn't need you to be of any religion.? BTW i been honest that if in any form i offended Sire it wasnt meant too...

A

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It would have very surprising if the Euro had not had a glitch, or two, along the way. As has been pointed out, the US Dollar had it's problems as well. Many States egged their figures to qualify for membership.

At the present, Europe is not dissimilar to America before Federation. In the longer run (maybe the next 50 years, or so) a United Europe is on the cards. For example, I notice that in the USA, few States and Cities have lost their individuality, having their own Laws and Taxes, running in conjunction with the Federal Taxes.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. I am of the opinion that the rate of inflation would not have risen so sharply as it did after decimalisation. My German friends feel the same way about the introduction of the Euro. The problem is nobody knows for sure. There is certainly no way of going back now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Your German friends may be of the opinion that the German inflation rate wouldn't have risen so sharply if the Euro hadn't been adopted, but they've missed the point - it didn't rise sharply.

As I've already pointed out,it fell sharply in the year following the introduction, and was more or less stable at pre-Euro rates between 2004 and 2007.

Your friends are basing their opinion on a lack of understanding of the facts.

You're basing your opinion (that the rate of inflation would have risen more slowly had we not decimalised our currency) on a gut feeling - there's no possible way of knowing. In the year following decimalisation our inflation rate actually fell. The big inflation rate rises occurred in the period 1974 - 1981, peaking at 24.2% in 1975. It makes last year's rate of 0.3% look like a walk in the park.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Having worked for 10 years in Holland up to 1997 I admit to (with hindsight, wrongly!) being in favour of the Euro for UK. When I visit countries such as Holland and Ireland, the prices seem to have risen steeply both compared with the current sterling exchange rate, and against the old Guilder and Punt. What has gone wrong is clearly the lack of discipline on state borrowings in the countries in trouble. I suspect we would be among them had we joined. Only quantitative easing (printing money) and its consequent effect of weakening the pound sterling has kept us from being quite as bad as Greece, although our debt is very intractable.I suspect that in time some Eurozone countries will have to leave the Euro as their population will not accept the extreme austerity needed to reduce ther debts.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Well spotted.

In years to come this well maybe how we will all end up. Good or Bad?

I wonder who will get to be President?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK