We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retro Games...enough to shake a stick at!

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Fantastic as sad as it may seem i watched all this, some decent knowledge in it too as to why we call various words in computing what we do...i really loved the video and he flashback of all the games...haven't we come far?

1984 Video here

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

1984........ My favourite year for gaming. All of the best (imo) arcade games had been released by then. I bought my first proper games machine (Spectrum). All my mates owned various 8-bit computers. Good times.

One of the games featured on that clip is my all time favourite. 'Galaxian'. Not the abysmal home computer version shown there (which I actually bought back int he day, unfortunately), though, but the arcade game proper.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Armchair

There is a very good freeware Galaxians version called Retro Galaxy. It's not exactly the same as the original, but it plays very well, not something that can be said of most Galaxaian clones. The creators website no longer hosts it, but you can find it here:

Retro Galaxy

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

They were state of the art then but absolute rubbish. Some things are better left alone to the annals of history.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

rdave13 "They were state of the art then but absolute rubbish. Some things are better left alone to the annals of history."

Isn't that true of most things though. I always laugh when our local motoring fan extols the virtues of British motorbikes and how they were the best in the world, better than Jap cr*p. I point out, that at the time, we couldn't wait to swap our slow unreliable Brit bikes, for fast reliable Jap bikes.

But that doesn't stop me looking with longing at the classic bikes in a local shop, rose tinted glasses and all that.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

robgf

Cheers, but I'll stick with the original.

rdave13

I agree that most old games are best left in the past. Some are well worth playing, though. There are a handful of arcade games, and a few old computer games that imo are still as fresh and exciting to play as they were back in the day (mostly 'limited lives' 2D shooters, in my case).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......