We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Caffeine warning to Pregnant Women

interzone55

Likes # 0

New research as shown the wide variation of coffee strength available on the high street, and pointed out that a single Espresso from some shops can exceed the recommended daily limit of caffeine for pregnant women.

What this research has proved for me, is that my long held belief that Starbucks serve the worlds weakest coffee is well grounded

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8926677/Wake-up-to-caffeine-levels-in-your-espresso-scientists-urge.html

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

An expresso response - alan14 - perhaps their coffee beans are not grounded well enough!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

OK, I realise this thread is about coffee strengths, but this is related - IMHO it's about time they improved standards in the coffee trade.

You can't seem to go into any two different shops and order a named drink (e.g. Americano) and get the same drink in any one of them.

I like a long drink and a big hit so years ago in one particular shop I was advised an Americano which was a double shot of coffee in a cup or mug filled up with hot water or hot or cold milk.

Wherever I go (with some embarrasment) I now have to ask what their Americano consists of.

Get it sorted. Cheers

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Covergirl

Your point is totally valid

Starbucks use a courser grind, so the water passes through more easily, and at the same time it means they can get more shots out of the same amount of beans.

They also use fewer shots in a large drink, Starbucks use two shots in a Venti or whatever they call it, Costa use three.

This is why there's only 51mg of caffeine in a single Espresso in Starbucks and 157mg in a Costa Coffee shot

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Starbucks - "They sure don't deliver the punch, that this old head needs".

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Very good of them to do the research which proves my hypothesis that Costa is a far better cup than Starbucks!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Costa is a far better cup than Starbucks!"

I can't disagree with that, but when it comes to serving great coffee my outright winner is Cafe Nero.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've not tried that one yet (not too many outlets locally) but I'll certainly give it a go.

Slightly funny story, last time I had a "fasting" appointment at the surgery the receptionist made the usual "How are you today" enquiry.

I replied I was suffering from severe caffeine deprivation.

Not only was there a chorus of sympathy from the whole waiting room, but they took me semi-seriously and got me in quickly!

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

so caffiene is bad for pregnant people - i was always underthe impression that this was so. Quite what is new in this i fail to see.

Oh, i agree that Costa is good, hate starbucks weak dirty water and love cafe nero.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

As I have previously mentioned on another recent post, I get a free cup, of nice coffee from my local bookies,table, chair, newspaper,TV,toilet facilities,......heaven!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

*AitchBEE * I dont think you need to worry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen