We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unfair NHS Treatment (or lack of it)

morddwyd

Likes # 0

According to the BBC, thousands of operations have been cancelled because of today's strike.

That is most unfair, just because they happened to be scheduled for today.

Would it not have been fairer just to postpone them until things are back to normal?

(No, please don't give me a serious answer, I'm just being sarcastic about the BBC's sloppy use of language!)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

David Cameron called the STRIKE - a damp squib.

THAT description will haunt him. The government's green policies are now non-existant.

His word's are hollow.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Am I missing something here? What do the government's green policies, or lack of them, have to do with today's union actions which were about public sector pensions?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ams4127 - You're not missing anything.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The UK Government are curtailing their 'GREEN promises'...and They (The UK Government are still blaming the previous Labour Government or The Europe Crises for their lack of vision. Their 'stiff upper lip' 'We are all in it together' rhetoric isn't washing with the people of BRITAIN.

MR Osborne doesn't give a hoot about GREEN agendas.

He has only MONEY on his mind.(he's grabbing it from everybody he can)

...a bit like Dickens' FAGAN...Got to pick a pocket or two...boys!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps we could look at this from another viewpoint?.

I was on a waiting list a few years ago for a operation, that was due about three weeks from the appointment letter. I received the letter on the Thursday, and the following Saturday morning at 10.30am I received a telephone call from the hospital, asking if I was willing to go to the hospital by lunchtime ("don't rush though"), as they had a cancellation. Apparently someone hadn't bothered to turn up, and for whatever reason was not contactable, which had left the 8.30am slot available.

Arrived just after 12.15pm, in operating theatre at 1.00pm, job done at 2.30pm, shared a cup of herbal tea with the surgeon from his flask. Taken to a bed, then asked if I would like a meal, which I declined, but given a further drink. And was on my way home by 4.30pm. Who was a happy bunny that day?.

My answer isn't serious, just fact. Something that people might forget or not appreciate at times, on how the NHS might works?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If we get a bit of bad weather - like a foot of snow - thousands of hospital appointments will be cancelled and/or re-arranged.

Further industrial action, will however be very disruptive.

This will not go away, easily.

The Government WILL do a U-turn.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Why are you banging on about the government's green policies, which have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the thread?

There's no need to capitalize the word 'green' - we get the message.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Why were operations cancelled?

I imagine it was because someone took the view that it was better to inconvenience one day's worth of patients and carry on as normal the next day, rather than pushing the entire NHS operating schedule back by a day, making it necessary to contact many thousands of people to tell them their operations would be a day later than scheduled.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Why were operations cancelled?"

They weren't, I'm sure. No-one who was due an operation yesterday has to start the procedure of GP, Out Patients appointment, and admission date again.

They were just postponed, and patients will simply be given a new appointment

Why couldn't the BBC just say that?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Could I just say that I have used a poor title?

This thread is supposed to be about the BBC's poor use of English, not a criticism of the NHS, or the strikers, or the government's green policies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing