We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Original Harry Ramsden's to close

interzone55

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15949876

The biggest Fish & Chip restaurant in the world, Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley, is being closed after the venture capital company that bought the business last year decided to "re-position the brand".

Seems we don't have companies any more, just "brands", that need to be "grown" and "re-positioned"

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the longterm they will regret throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You can't buy a sales image with the history that this now global brand has.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...having said that, they served two of the things I most hate. Marmite on bread and mushy peas!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I never saw anything outstanding in Harry Ramsden's chippies. The only one I eever went in took hours to serve anyone and the food was not all it was supposed to be. In fact it was rubbish. I thought they had gone out of business?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

I'm making a general point about heritage being lost because a company has bought a brand and has no intentions of keeping the original business alive, just using the brand name, and not even using the name in its original market.

All the restaurants will close, I'm fairly certain off this, and the name will be used on a range of pre-packaged foods much like Aunt Bessie's...

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"All the restaurants will close, I'm fairly certain off this, and the name will be used on a range of pre-packaged foods much like Aunt Bessie's..."

It already is: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/brands/harryramsdensin_tesco.html

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Sorry, defective link enter link description here

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau, "the food was not all it was supposed to be. In fact it was rubbish", you're from Lancashire, you wouldn't know good fish and chips if they bit you on the leg!

I'll get my coat! ;o}

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

Well that's one half of my prediction that's correct (not sure it's a prediction if it's already happened, although I have to say I wasn't aware of these products, I envisage frozen fish, and a range of pies and such)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My brother,William, and I, had a nice 'large' fish 'n' chips with peas and all the condiments etc. in a large pub in central Glasgow called 'The Goose'. It's situated on a main bus route, plenty of buses,(we saw about 100 buses pass by,from a window table,in the spacious upstairs restaurant, in the space of an hour.It's very handy, for catching a bus home.

The two meals, cost us £6.49 in total.

What would Harry Ramsdens shop charge for this equivalent?

Perhaps people are shopping around more, for bargains, the more expensive eateries being the loser's.

In contrast, my local fish 'n' chip shop's takeaway prices are starting to become unaffordable now.It's £6.50 for a fish supper.

They, (The chips shops all over the land) must have lost a fortune to-day, because the schools were closed due to the STRIKE.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

I'm with Bingalau on this. Harry Ramsden's fish and chips, mushy peas, tea, bread and butter, in Guiseley or any other branch was not a patch on Bryan's of Headingley Leeds, or the City centre's Nash's Fish and Chips.

Harry Ramsden opened a restaurant near the Metro Centre Gateshead years ago and the price put many a customer off going a second time. I don't even know if it's still open, no one refers to it when arguing which chip shop is best.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite