We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

euthanasia again

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I know that this has been talked about before but some times you have to ask your self why this man http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16120107 by law can't ask for help to end his life.

I for one would not like to be in his position and have to be cared for every hour of the day, I know after having a bad accident and having to rely on other people to do certain things for me for 12 months how frustrating and humiliating it can get.

If I had a dog and allowed it to live with the same condition as he has I would be called all sorts of names and most likely prosecuted for it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's so much easier with a dog, we have different rules and attitudes. I have no problem taking a dog that's in it's final months to the vets for the final time and not wasting money on veterinary care that won't justify the cost. I've known from day one it will come to that.

But it's just not so simple with people that have the power of reason, whether it be the sufferer, or the family. I don't know the answer.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think there's two major problems that need to be overcome before the taboo subject of euthanasia can be discussed, and perhaps legalised.

Firstly, it is still illegal for anyone to help a person commit suicide, and this includes knowingly giving the person the means to end their life.

Secondly, who makes the decision? What if someone is in a lot of pain, and wants to die, but has no means to communicate this with the outside world? If we let the family make the decision what's to stop people using this to get rid of a relative who is in a coma but it's not terminal, and they're not suffering?

There's one other major obstacle though, and I think this one is probably the hardest one to solve, and that's simple selfishness.

Think of it this way, your dog is suffering, you can legally take it to the vet and have it's life ended with the minimum of additional pain, but that would mean removing a major part of your life. Even though the dog is in real pain, you don't want to lose it. Now magnify that to a parent, or sibling or child - they're suffering horribly in bed, but you don't want to lose that part of your family...

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

carver If I had a dog and allowed it to live with the same condition as he has I would be called all sorts of names and most likely prosecuted for it.

Exactly what I said to the ethics committee but they still voted 6 - 4 aainst the amputation

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

DR Saunders is wrong there is a right to die, it's called an advanced decision. I have one that forbids any emergenncy medical treatment even in life threatening situations and being kept alive by any artificial means or forced feeding.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

They shoot horses don't they?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

anskyber

And you know why they shoot horses?

It's because once it's broken a leg the horse is no longer profitable for the owner and instead becomes a financial burden.

The same is true for racing greyhounds...

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

alan14

I was thinking more of the outstanding novel/film of the same name, which to quote Anita Sethi,

"Survival is all in the harsh world evoked in Horace McCoy's slim yet thematically weighty 1935 novel set in America's Great Depression. How far a human being will go to stay alive is the question at the heart of the unflinching narrative which draws on the author's own experience as a struggling movie extra, and was made into a 1969 film starring the Oscar-nominated Jane Fonda. Little wonder that book became a favourite among French existentialists."

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

alan14 if you think about the reason why horses are put down it is due to several reasons, first one being to try to move a horse that weights the best part of 700- 800 kg, second reason , a horse would have to be in a sling to take it's weight for the better part of 3 months while healing took place.

It's not just due to financial reasons, I have seen people who have spent thousands in vets bills to try and keep their horse alive, me being one of them.

But there does come a time when you can no longer see any animal suffer.

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

I believe that euthenasia should be legal. It would take a lot of time and effort to make the system as unabusable as possible. Their are other countrys outtheir that allow it so we should look at them and see what we can learn.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

carver

If you read my first post you'll see I totally agree that if an animal is suffering then it's only right that we should be able to end it's suffering, and the same is true for humans.

My point about horses, and more specifically race horses, is that there is no reason to shoot them on the race track when they break a leg, just as there's no reason to hang a greyhound from a tree when it's finished racing. The decision is purely financial, and this is completely wrong - and something that needs to be thought about if euthanasia is made legal for people. Do we turn off the life support, or fill the drip bag with morphine just because it gets too expensive to keep a person alive...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...