We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget day today

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I believe today is the day we have all been waiting for, when 'SANTA' shows us his bag of goodies.

Sorry- I was dreaming, it is the day when we show him all our goodies and then he decides how much he wants this time.

I've heard about getting blood from a stone, but how much more can he take?. I know it is bad because I work in a multinational group and some of the immigrants who come in about 5 years ago are complaining about the 'NEW' immigrants are getting everything and they are losing out.

Terry

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

us

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

talking of falling apart, do you remember the story of Gerald Ratner (Jeweller),who was doing very well until he said that a lot of his stock was crap. A very sharp fall followed, and the company disappeared.

They dare not make the same mistake!

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Terry Brown, the last I heard about Gerald Ratner, he was still doing very well for himself!.

Bingalau, a Mars bar into eight slices, you must have been poor. I recall my trip once a week to the corner shop with the ration book, asking for "My Favourite", then having it all to myself for the next week. Then there was the "penuff of scraps", which usually consisted of a couple of bruised in season fruits, or the bag of batter scratching from the local chippy,then the possibility of the slice of bread and jam from a neighbour, with your mother returning the favour the next day or so. The kid's of today haven't lived?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We were lucky, although my mum and dad were poor, they managed to bring the five of us up, through 'thick & thin'.

A 'Stork' margarine sandwich, sprinkled with granulated sugar, was a tasty treat.

Our childish eyes would light-up, after mum had a win at the local church bingo night, when she would treat us all to 'Creamola Foam' and 'Tree Top' fruity drinks...dilute to taste.

And despite the sugary overload, I've still got my own teeth, 50 years later.

Perhaps sugar sandwiches will make a comeback.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

AitchBEE "I've still got my own teeth, 50 years later"

That's nowt, my old man is 97 and has his own teeth, as well - he bought his in 1980 he tells me!

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Sorry, should have finished that last post with "Boom, boom"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...