We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Six unexpected uses for the arrow keys

Beard

Likes # 0

Clicked on the link in todays PCA email and tried the suggestions for "Six unexpected uses for the arrow keys". Didn't work and spent several minutes wondering why. You forgot to mention they are for a MAC not a PC (it's in the small print by the title on the site. Is it me or is the clue in the title PC Advisor?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Beard - do you fancy posting a link to this article - I'd be interested but can't seem to find it. Cheers

Like this post
Beard

Likes # 0

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

And you can do broadly similar things in Windows.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

PC Advisor's parent company owns many other magazines, and artilces from them frequently appear on here without being checked over to make sure they still make sense and are correct. The arrow key article is obviously about a Mac when read in the MacWorld magazine, but not obvious at all when read on PC Advisor.

I've just read the news article on here about a movie being shot on a camera phone which has been taken straight from American magazine PC World, and again there's several bit's that aren't really appropiate, eg:

"to help it get to 2,000+ movie theaters around the country", which to the unsuspecting reader would imply the UK when in fact I'm sure it means America.

and

"In the Kickstarter video embedded above", there is no video embedded above.

I have seen some articles which have bits added to them to make them relevent (an article about a 4G phone springs to mind where it is clearly pointed out that the UK version will not be 4G), but it's a shame that so many get published without being checked over first, especially on a site that attracts as many readers as this one does.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You could prise them out and re-arrange them physically on your keyboard for a giggle, and/or have the arrows replaced by the letters, N S E W, the cardinal compass points...for better navigation!

Like this post
Beard

Likes # 0

To AitchBEE: I tried putting an Apple sticker on my PC but that didn't seem to work either ;)

Like this post
Beard

Likes # 0

To D@VE: I wholeheartedly agree with you. If you are going to plagiarise, at least make it appropriate. I've been getting PCA since it launched and have noticed over recent years the drift and the inclusion of more and more non PC related items. I am well aware of the convergence of technologies but still.... I wonder if the Editorial staff read these forums?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer