We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digging the Great Escape on Channel 4.

Brumas

Likes # 0

I have always had an interest in WWII especially POW camps and the lives of those unfortunate to be incarcerated. I have just sat riveted for an hour and half watching Digging the Great Escape on Channel 4.

What struck me was how, with modern day tools and equipment and without worrying about noise, concealment and the need for urgency, that they couldn't dig down vertically and horizontally as efficiently as those brave lads did in 1944.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When the films were made and the books written on this subject, I can never recall that there was any mention that the camp was built on sand, so making the construction of the tunnel's more dangerous, or that they had to revise the routing due to German activity on the surface and civil unrest in the nearest town. It goes to show, that nearly 70 years on, you can still learn something from this chapter in time.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

An interesting programme.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

A tad disappointed with the program. I would have liked more on the present day RAF guys effort.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It was a high price to pay for escaping over 50 of the 70 odd were caught and shot on Hitler's orders.

Not much left of the old radio mind you.

Only seen 15 minutes of it I was scrolling through the TV channels when I came across it.

I miss Time Team used to watch that all of the time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......