We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bentley with a Spitfire engine

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

I know that many of you are interested in cars. I was browsing for something else and came across this Bentley with a Spitfire engine. The pictures are good and click on the related article for the story behind it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A link that should work Bentley

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like the quintessential '12 exhausts' Woolwell. The green paintwork makes it a 'green' car. I want one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It isn't green not with a 2 - 3 mpg.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Woolwell, now that's what I call a car, however I suspect the mpg and the price of petrol alone would be beyond my budget :o{

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Neither the chassis or the engine have anything to do with Bentley, so it's not really a Bentley is it?.

The body - which is a copy - is superb however.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

They had an 800 series Rover with a Merlin engine in it on 5th gear once it was doing close on 200MPH at about 500RPM.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 2

Corners brilliantly but everytime it sees a Volkswagen it climbs into the sun and dives at it :-)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's the sort of Saturday mod I would have done on my bike 30 years ago if I'd gotten my hands on a Merlin.

I knew someone at that time that bought a 7 cylinder radial aero engine and planned to do similar with it in a trike, but I think it became another pipe dream that never saw the light of day.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Merlin engine breathes the volume of a London bus every minute though it's carburettors.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Just imagine how scary that would be at the speed it's capable of? I don't know what they did with the gearing but I reckon it would be truly terrifying at speed.

Beautiful car though!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes