We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gas Stop Cock cover raiser

tonyq
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I am in the process of laying block paving in our yard,and have come across the "Gas Stop Cock" cover which is about 8" square under the old tarmac,(which should have been on the surface). I now need to raise the stop cock cover level with the intending new block paving which is about 4"to6". My question is can I buy a extension so as to raise the cover if so could you tell me the correct name and where I may be able to buy the Item. Thanks in advance

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can't you just dig it up and reset it higher. I had one in my old drive and it was just resting on bricks underneath metal cover so I put 4 more bricks round (square) on top of the existing ones then put back the metal cover which raised the level by one brick.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They usually just rest on the top of a length of drain pipe, as lotvic said just us a couple of blocks to raise it up. It does not need to be 'sealed' but stop any sand going down the gap and filling up the tube when you do the paving. It might be a good time to check that you can turn the valve and that it is not leaking before the gas-board need to dig up your nice new drive.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Given that it belongs to Centrica (the owners of gas supplies) it may be wise to contact them and let them know what you have found. Given the raft of regulations that exist and often change, they may need to relocate, modify or move the location. It is their property and they are responsible for it, you only have responsibility after the gas meter.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

I have built it up using bricks as suggested,also rang 'Gas Grid' and told them,of which they said that it was O.K to do so. Thank you all for your help/advice.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps a timely reminder, but did you check the tap to see if it was working okay as wiz-king suggested?.

When Gas Alliance replaced all the mains pipes and connections in my neighbourhood location, they found some serious problems with the old metal installations, mainly through corrosion. The from mains stop-cock for my property located out on the public pavement was broken, and was regarded as being dangerous. The underground pipework from the stop-cock to house, was also regarded as dangerous condition, and the new pipework had to be re-routed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes