We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Climate change, the story continues

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So it appears we have a second round of e-mails released about what might or might not be global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate2first_look/ ,some people believe in it others don't, but whatever your opinion you have to wonder why so much data can not be certified or some people have this overwhelming desire to destroy e-mails that could cast doubt on their findings.

Now another batch of e-mails are released that bring even more doubt as to whether all the doom and gloom is justified.

Small extract "“The science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run,” laments one scientist, Peter Thorne"

And right at the end another extract,

“What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation?” muses one scientist. “They’ll kill us probably.”

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

I can't speak for carver, but desperation is not something I find necessary on an internet discussion forum. This subject is one that will always provoke heated debate.

As I said earlier climate scientists can not agree on the issue so what hope you and I? You will pick your selected facts that you think make your point and I will pick mine.

By the way, I am not a climate change denier! Read my earlier post, I accept that the climate is changing, I just believe it is a cyclical event that the planet goes through not a man made one!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

Here we can agree, I'm all for saving money being a poor fire brigade pensioner! :-)

I live in a modern well insulated house and I do not just burn energy for the sake of it, that would be ridiculous. I just don't go out of my way to pander to the green lobby's every whim regarding the next great thing to save pennies.

I don't like energy saving light bulbs, they give off a poor light and they contain mercury, so whilst I can still buy incandescents I have a good stock laid in which should see me out.

I drive a modern car which whilst not the most economical vehicle on the road, I enjoy having and driving (It was a present to myself paid for with some of my "gold plated" public sector pension)

You may call me selfish but with the possibly thirty odd years I may have left I shall endeavour to enjoy life without worrying about whether the planet is warming because of me or in-spite of me.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

FE Quote: "Some of the biggest emitters of carbon dioxide are power stations."

Quote:"Like the US, the vast majority of British coal consumption occurs in the power sector. The UK currently has a fleet of 18 coal-fired power stations, with a total capacity of some 28.47GW. In 2007, these facilities used 52.571Mt of coal, representing 84 per cent of total British coal demand (62.89Mt). The second largest consumers are coke ovens, which last year used 7.175Mt".

OK, these figures are from 2007 - I wonder how they have changed? And obviously, I pulled them from a site suiting my purposes to illustrate my point, which is:

If 84% of coal is used in coal-fired power stations, what hope do the people who use the other 16% have of effecting change on the environment?

(Actually, I googled coal consumption in the UK and image 2 contained a pie chart)

When one sees the pollution from some of the "dirty" cities in the far east, one wonders whether we will all still be alive next year.

I remember during the Gulf war of 1990/91 when the Kuwaiti oilfields were destroyed and oil was dumped in the Gulf, it was projected that the environmental damage would take years to clean up and the environmental impact would be felt for years. How wrong. Thankfully the earth is very forgiving and self healing.

Therefore I consider anything that I do will have nil impact, but together with the other millions we may have a very small effect.

It will probably make my expenses cheaper as illustrated by Bremner. However, I may not regain the cost of buying a Golf Blue Motion in fuel savings.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Covergirl

Therefore I consider anything that I do will have nil impact, but together with the other millions we may have a very small effect.

Well put, so really there is no point is there?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This is an example of carbon capture. In my mind essential on a world wite basis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/apr/08/first-carbon-capture-power-plant-lacq

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Carbon capture is a neat way of returning the unwanted carbon dioxide to a safe holding place a mile, or so, underground.

Money spent on wind-tubines should be shelved, with carbon capture plants given more priority.

Nuclear energy is still the only solution, to our long-term energy needs, I would say...after the coal, gas, and oil...the fossil-based energy sources, dwindle.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

I listen when people are talking about climate change mainly because it does interest me, and I do my bit, but, over the weekend I was watching a documentary about the north / south poles, can't remember which, but they were basically discussing the wildlife that survives in these colder areas. Polar bears were discussed saying that during the warmer times, because of the lack of ice they have to swim to look for food, but they forage because they can't get to the seals, so they make do with what they can find, but they do survive with their babies if they have any, during the leaner times.

Later on that day, and another station, an advert came on asking for money because the ice is melting, polar bears are dying, and we must help these poor creatures. The reason, climate change, but a few hours before they were all ok.

So who is right?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...