We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Climate change, the story continues

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So it appears we have a second round of e-mails released about what might or might not be global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate2first_look/ ,some people believe in it others don't, but whatever your opinion you have to wonder why so much data can not be certified or some people have this overwhelming desire to destroy e-mails that could cast doubt on their findings.

Now another batch of e-mails are released that bring even more doubt as to whether all the doom and gloom is justified.

Small extract "“The science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run,” laments one scientist, Peter Thorne"

And right at the end another extract,

“What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation?” muses one scientist. “They’ll kill us probably.”

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Flak999

I agree with much of what you say. However I have changed the way I behave. I save energy where I can.

I have re insulated my loft and had cavity wall insulation injected. I have some low energy bulbs where bright instant light is not too much of an issue. I have changed to a diesel car that averages 50+ to the gallon and is low in emissions.

I have done none of these things because of global warming.

My heatings bills have dropped noticably, my car fuel bill has reduced by 40% and the road tax by nearly 50%. I am saving myself hundreds of pounds a year and if it helps reduce polution then great.

Governments should focus much more on how making changes would save money rather than how it would effect global warming.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

bremner

You will get no argument from me about trying to save a bit of money where you can. I too have a well insulated house with new recently installed double glazing and thick loft insulation.

I don't however like the feeble glow from these energy saving lights (they also are not particularly environmentally friendly as they contain mercury ) so I don't use them.

As I don't believe that any action that I take as an individual will effect how our climate changes, I don't factor that issue into any lifestyle decisions that I make.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999. To continue the healthy difference of opinions on this, it seems to me that the sceptics on man's adding to the natural cycle, who will not accept the overwhelming scientific opinion are a little like heavy smokers who carry on smoking in spite of evidence of its harm. The sensible savings made in insulation are still very marginal. I believe that - somehow - population growth must be reduced, and that carbon capture in power stations is critical. Without it electric cars tranfer pollution from exhausts to power stations. You may be too young to remember the London "smogs" but in time they were more or less eliminated by lots of us changing our habits, so individuals can indeed help.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"As I don't believe that any action that I take as an individual will effect how our climate changes, I don't factor that issue into any lifestyle decisions that I make."

Allow me to enlighten you.

Using less energy reduces the amount of Carbon Dioxide that is produced by power stations. Carbon Dioxide is a greenhouse gas, it causes the planet to heat up - there is ample evidence that increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere results in the planet getting warmer. Some of the biggest emitters of carbon dioxide are power stations.

The UK power sector is the ninth largest emitter of carbon dioxide in the world - we send 212,000,000 tons of it into the atmosphere every year.

Perhaps it's time you woke up to the fact that your lifestyle decisions can indeed have a direct impact on the problem. Millions of other people take it pretty seriously - in my experience concern is more prevalent amongst the younger generation, they realise that the state of the planet they and their children inherit can be directly influenced - one way or another - by actions that we take now.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

How do you propose reducing population growth? That seems to me to be an even more unlikely event than stopping India and China opening more gas and coal fired power stations in a year than we have ever had!

I'm sorry but I think all of this is just pie in the sky nonsense to be honest. We as human beings have got neither the will nor the means to make one iotas difference to the climate.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Thank you for your attempt to enlighten me, but given that as you say we send 212 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and presumably as we are the ninth largest emitter, the other eight send even more?

What hope is there of cutting this to a level that the green lobby say will reverse their claimed warming? Are we all to revert to a time before the modern age?

Just think about it, reverse all the advances of the modern age! It's ridiculous, and I for one don't buy into this myth of man made climate change.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I give up. Scientific facts will not change someone who will not listen and who is convinced that a "gut feel" is correct in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary,. Carbon capture at power stations is quite possible if there was a will to do it.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Don't give up! Your just as entitled to believe what you do, I respect your opinion. I just don't subscribe to it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"I for one don't buy into this myth of man made climate change."

I haven't seen you produce a single shred of evidence to show that it's a myth, but you seem to blithely state it as fact. In the face of that attitude there really isn't much point in my trying to convince you of anything - you've made up your mind to stick with what is no more than a gut feeling.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

You know as well as I do that we could trade "facts" pulled from the internet until we are blue in the face! Greater minds than you or I argue over these every day and end up at an impasse.

If climate scientists cannot agree on the issue then what hope you or I being able to? No matter though, you can believe in man made warming if you wish, based on what you have read on the subject. I, take the opposite view!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK