We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Climate change, the story continues

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So it appears we have a second round of e-mails released about what might or might not be global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate2first_look/ ,some people believe in it others don't, but whatever your opinion you have to wonder why so much data can not be certified or some people have this overwhelming desire to destroy e-mails that could cast doubt on their findings.

Now another batch of e-mails are released that bring even more doubt as to whether all the doom and gloom is justified.

Small extract "“The science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run,” laments one scientist, Peter Thorne"

And right at the end another extract,

“What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation?” muses one scientist. “They’ll kill us probably.”

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

There can be little doubt that human behaviour has an effect upon our climate but the question is - how much?

I am with the people who believe that we are undergoing a cyclical climate change plus a small amount of added human effect.

I am always suspicious of arguments supported by "experts". Remember the main body of experts thought that the Earth was flat!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The trouble is there is a big vested interest from Governments and scientific bodies (new ways to tax us/funding for research) in perpetuating the scenario of man's effect on the climate."

I find it quite astonishing that anyone could seriously put forward the argument that governments and scientific bodies are deliberately talking up the effects of our activities on the earth's climate in order to raise more money for taxes and research.

The truth is that none of us - unless we are climatologists or are working in a related scientific field - have much more than a scant knowledge about the complexities of the planet's climate systems to make informed judgements.

Most people base their opinions on what they've read in the media, and there's a lot of knee-jerk "I am not convinced by the arguments of the green lobby." stuff.

All of us are and will be affected by changes in our climate, and all of us should have the sense to realise that the activities of generations of polluters and exploiters have had a detectable effect on our planet's ecosystems. You only have to look at the rate of extinctions of species to realise that.

Saying that 'I'm just going to carry on behaving as I always have'is just daft - partly because it reveals a sad lack of interest in what happens outside your own small world, and partly because you won't be able to do it. Rising fuel and food costs will impact on almost everyone as time goes on, and as people age, and enter fixed income territory that impact will become even greater. Where climate change is concerned we really are all in this together, regardless of what causes the problems.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Given that many people believe climate change is natural with a small input from man, the actions taken by those who know (apparently) the answers come across to my way of thinking as those who would try to stop an elephant by standing in front of it and pushing.

Climate change has always been with us. It is bigger than we are. It will happen regardless of what we do. The total effects and types of changes that have occurred, and will recur, are not fully known or understood by man any more than he can predict the weather more than a few hours ahead. As a result the type of semi-hysteria promulgated by some in governments and pressure groups can only waste effort and money and make life a little more miserable for the vast majority.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"As a result the type of semi-hysteria promulgated by some in governments and pressure groups can only waste effort and money and make life a little more miserable for the vast majority."

On the other hand.....

It might make life a little less miserable for the huge numbers of people who are currently suffering the effects of climate change to a far greater degree than anyone in this country could ever imagine.

The world doesn't stop on the British beaches you know.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

FE

"It might make life a little less miserable for the huge numbers of people who are currently suffering the effects of climate change to a far greater degree than anyone in this country could ever imagine."

How? By diverting funds that could be used for humanitarian aid into wind turbine technology at sea or some other expensive project?

As I said, it is pointless attempting to change something that can't be changed. Better to concentrate of such things as a positive effect can be achieved - if only temporarily.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I have been told for the past 10 years how my life style is destroying the planet, I must stop driving, stop keeping as warm in my home, you name it I have been told it is bad for the planet.

Time after time we are told the evidence is there to see as plain as day, then it turns out that some of the evidence may be slightly exaggerated to fit in with what the politicians want us to believe.

I'm not saying that there is no cause for concern but I am paying more green taxes to combat this Global Warming that is based on a computer simulation that may be completely wrong.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

fourm member

"But then they were presented with irrefutable evidence ..."

But no such evidence exists that man can prevent climate change with any actions he takes. Even attempting to reduce our use of carbon based power will only have a very small effect.

Science does open new avenues for us to explore; as a result perhaps we should apply our efforts where we know a positive effect can be achieved rather than where a simulation thinks we can.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

How can one argue with the facts- man is the main cause of C02 increase:

http://www.esr.org/outreach/climatechange/mansimpact/man1.html

http://www.atmosphere.mpg.de/enid/basics/1Man-madeclimatechange1w4.html

Also the ozone layer is damaged by man made aerosols. Carbon capture ar power stations is a major thing that could and should be given priority.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

john bunyan - I blame Dusty Springfield, with her bee-hive hairdo...she must have used hundreds of hair-lacquer cans, to get a good 'hold'.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I find it quite astonishing that you would be so astonished! Governments will use any excuse to squeeze more tax from it's long suffering populations. See this article from the Daily Mail in July this year The Green tax Con!

As for the fact that we will all be affected by climate change, yes we probably will! I have agreed that the climate is changing, I just disagree about that change being caused by mankind.

I intend to carry on as normal as I have already stated because there is nothing that you or I can do to affect the climate, even supposing that we should want to! I am sure it is very unfortunate for the likes of people living in the Seychelles that there islands will be overtaken by rising sea levels but I fail to comprehend how the restriction of my use of 100 watt light bulbs is going to save the Seychellois from a watery fate!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...