We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Climate change, the story continues

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So it appears we have a second round of e-mails released about what might or might not be global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate2first_look/ ,some people believe in it others don't, but whatever your opinion you have to wonder why so much data can not be certified or some people have this overwhelming desire to destroy e-mails that could cast doubt on their findings.

Now another batch of e-mails are released that bring even more doubt as to whether all the doom and gloom is justified.

Small extract "“The science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run,” laments one scientist, Peter Thorne"

And right at the end another extract,

“What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation?” muses one scientist. “They’ll kill us probably.”

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Grey Goo Ice ages have occured before, Global warming has happened before. Whether 7 billion parasites speed it up or not is irrelevant it will still happen.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think Flak999 and Kevscar between them cover my opinion admirably.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Grey Goo

The span of geological time is so vast and our three score years and ten on this earth passes in the blink of an eye. I am 53 years old, if I am lucky I might get another thirty years of worthwhile life. The change to the climate in this short time will be unnoticeable to me.

The cyclical changes to our planets climate will occur inexorably whatever futile attempts man makes to affect this change. natural disasters will occur just the same as they always have. I intend to live the rest of my life using what resources the planet has to my advantage, in thirty years I will be dead, gone from the planet as if I never existed. No one is going to look back and say: "good old Flak999 he gave up using 100 watt light bulbs and started driving an electric car! Hasn't the world benefited from his sacrifice!"

Life's to short to worry about the things you can't change, live each day to the full, for tomorrow we will all be dead!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Everybody will have to 'modify' their behaviour.'cause WE don't have any choice in the matter.Wind farms can't generate enough energy to keep a small town served with energy, nevermind London or Glasgow.The lights will be going out soon, in Britain. Nuclear energy can save us.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It seems to me that those saying that they will not modify their behaviour as thir time on eath is short, are showing a very selfish attitude . It is a bit like a driver throwing rubbish out of a car leaving others to clear it up. Surely we have done enough damage to the planet, not only adding to the climate change problem, but by our rapid expansion in numbers we are causing many other species to die out. How it can be done, I do not know, but somehow man must begin to control population growth at a level greater than the food and water supplies can cathh up.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Selfish? Perhaps! Realistic? Definitely!

Nothing that you or I do will affect the climate on earth one jot. You could install PV panels on your roof, a ground source heat pump in your garden, give up your car and cycle everywhere, grow your own food and keep pigs and chickens.

Indeed return to a medieval agrarian existence, and what do you think your efforts will have achieved in halting cyclical climate change?

I will tell you.

Nothing!

It might make you personally feel better, but you wont have actually achieved anything!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I respect your views, but do not share them! One ant cannot make a heap, but many thousands can! I do not want to get into a personal exchange so I will not comment further.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Sorry, I thought we were having a conversation! I respect your views as well.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Flak999I like a fiendly discussion, but dislike the (sometimes) heated exchanges sometimes seen on the forum. If you look at my post of 7.09 on 23rd you will see I had a good and expert friend who was a world expert on this, and it seems logical to agree with a world expert and many of his colleagues than those who are not experts in a subject. Have you looked at the scientific evidence and seen enough evidence of the sceptic tendency to convince you?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Your right sometimes exchanges can get heated, but by and large I think this forum is much better than others. FE keeps a pretty tight rein on things.

As to your earlier post, I am sure your friend believed fervently that the evidence that he had seen convinced him of man's detrimental effect on the climate. The trouble is there is a big vested interest from Governments and scientific bodies (new ways to tax us/funding for research) in perpetuating the scenario of man's effect on the climate.

I am not a scientist, but I have read articles from both sides of the argument and I am not convinced by the arguments of the green lobby.

Just my view of course!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers