We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Climate change, the story continues

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So it appears we have a second round of e-mails released about what might or might not be global warming http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate2first_look/ ,some people believe in it others don't, but whatever your opinion you have to wonder why so much data can not be certified or some people have this overwhelming desire to destroy e-mails that could cast doubt on their findings.

Now another batch of e-mails are released that bring even more doubt as to whether all the doom and gloom is justified.

Small extract "“The science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run,” laments one scientist, Peter Thorne"

And right at the end another extract,

“What if climate change appears to be just mainly a multidecadal natural fluctuation?” muses one scientist. “They’ll kill us probably.”

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry link apears broken, try this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/23/climategate

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry just paste this into google,

Climategate 2.0: Fresh trove of embarrassing emails

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Interesting! I believe the climate is changing, but it's nothing to do with anything man made. I believe it is a cyclical change that the planet is going through, which it has gone through before and will do again.

As with all theories such as this there will be people who believe fervently that it is all mankind's fault and other pragmatists like me who believe that there is nothing that we have done to bring this about and equally nothing we can do to change what is happening.

I guess time will tell who is correct, but as for me I will keep on using my stockpile of 100 Watt incandescent light bulbs, I will still drive my Audi A5 3.0 quattro. In other words I will carry on as I always have!

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Well said Flak999, my attitude precisely! Especially as governments are using the argument to apply extra taxes - I intend to ignore and enjoy the years I have left!

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

**Flak999 ** I couldn't agree more, could not have put it better - been saying it for years but unfortunately there don't seem to be any politicians with a smidgeon of a scientific knowledge so they just listen to the eco-freaks.. I too have lots of 100w incandescents but I don't have an Audi A5 (more's the pity), just a Volvo S80

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Are we responsible for global warning? Impossible to be say..

Are we poluting the planet? Yes

Politicians and environmentalists have failed miserably to draw this distinction and as a consequence many feel that it is all just an excuse to raise taxes as mentioned.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a friend (sadly killed in an accident last year) who had been the Met Office College Principal, and chairman of the DEFRA climate change committe. He lectured world wide on the subject as a visiting professor. In spite of his vast knowledge he was able (like Brian Cox) to explain such subjects in a way that those of us without his years of study (1st in Maths, PHd etc) could understand.Basically he said that - yes, there are natural cycles (sun spots, volcanic activity etc) but these have always been around. Man's extra contribution is, nevertheless, significant and is exacerbating the situation. Just look at the rate of increase on CO2 levels. He also pointed out such items as that the only way electric cars will help is if the power stations have efficient carbon capture arrangements or else their CO2 emissions would offset savings from vehicles.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

*Really and truly. Are you saying you haven't modified your behaviour, at all, from the days when petrol was 50p a litre?*

Well I was a lot younger then! So perhaps I should say that the excess of youth has given way to the enjoyment of middle age, but other than a greater appreciation for the finer things in life, no I have not changed my behaviour at all!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Flak999

Yes there have been cycles of change before. But there were not 7 Billion Homo Saps.screwing with the environment until very recently. But I guess you and the others won't be convinced and you won't be around to see the consequences.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...