We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dilemma - what would you do?

anskyber
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use on line banking and have a joint account with my partner.

Although technically we should each access our account with separate user IDs etc it is simpler to use one, we have nothing to hide. As an upgrade to our banks security we were both sent new "keys" and thought it might be helpful to register individually in case there was ever a failure of one of the keys and the other key could then be used to access the identical information.

My partner was initially shocked to find she also had access with her key to her soon to be ex husbands account which was still in joint names; he is habitually tardy with "administration" issues. So what would you do?

Before anyone gets excited we know what we need to do, I am really interested in how you would deal with it.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I would have her contact the bank to advise them of the position so that the joint account with her ex husband can be stopped until the position is finalised.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

As the old saying goes "I wouldn't be starting from here!". My only thought would be that it was possibly not altogether wise to have a joint bank account with someone who is still married to someone else - but that's just me!

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I would assume that your partner has informed the bank that she is soon to be divorced and that the account should only by in her soon to be ex-husbands name? If your partner has informed the bank of the situation then it's the banks error, and therefore would be down to the bank to resovle the issue. Your partner should approach the bank and inform them of this issue.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

He might be tardy but I think your wife should close the joint account so as to avoid any possible repercussions. She is obviously still named on the account and could be held liable for any discrepancies.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...or she could take the money and run!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Bit off the original question, but I never have been able to see the point or advantage of a joint bank account.

Just because you get married, or committed, doesn't mean that you give up your individuality.

I think I would hate not to be in control of my own financial situation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014