We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should we all be more tolerant to bad language?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well I'll nail my colours to the mast and state categorically that bad language really offends me a lot, more especially if the verbal abuse is issued under a threat. Does anyone here fully agree with Judge Bean's findings in this judgement? TC. the verdict

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

You know TC its wrong for the BBC to send out the wrong info, go into a bank and swear and c what happens.

Swearing may be part of life yet what bout our young children, what kind of message r u sending out.

What would you do when your grand child swears at you.

The Police also need to clean up their own home too, there are number of officers who do swear.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I agree with the judge, no police officer should be caused harassment alarm or distress by a person swearing at them.

However if someone is swearing in the presence of the public, be it man woman or child then that is completely different.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I totally disagree with this verdict, and I hope it is appealed. In particular when coupled with aggressive behavior when being arrested or questioned by police it is unacceptable. A slow erosion of standards is bad enough without this verdict - it will encourage teenagers in schools to quote it when verbally abusing teachers, and there are many other scenarios which will worsen.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I blame parents, teachers and the lack of discipline everywhere. At one time the only people who swore on a regular basis were servicemen. They were castigated for their low morals and bad behaviour. Things have sunk so low that three and four year olds can now be heard swearing in public and usually at grownups, who have no means of stopping them. Do gooders have taken away the rights of adults to punish them.

I won't bother to try to judge TV and the media, but my opinion of the way some shows have gone is unfit for publishing in this particular bit of the media. Mrs Whitehouse was quite correct with her prophesy of the future. The country has gone to the dogs. (Was she the one who tried to stop the way TV was moving, or was she the one who trained naughty dogs?)

Yes I used to be able to swear with the best of them when I was a serviceman. But then we were renowned for it. However my family, especially the younger ones, have never heard me swear. The older ones may have done so when passing on a joke.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When I am in my house, alone, and I have a bit of an accident,I swear out loud...then two second later, I get embarrassed at what I said. I will have to install a swear-box for my own use...50p-a-'***'. and 85p-a-!!!!!**.

That's all I can "bl****!". afford!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They've never heard of tact, that's the difference.

I never heard my father swear beyond a 'bloody' at home, but was was a tunnelling engineer, so beyond my safe Saturday visits to his site office when I was 10/12, I now realise he must have been a different dad during the week. When I'm in the rugby club I'm a somewhat different person to the one when I'm at the family Christmas dinner:)

And I'm sure a lot of us must fit that mold...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If your swearing can make people laugh it's a subversion of the transgression."

That's alright then.

We can start letting people into the mental hospitals again to laugh at the patients - that's just a subversion of the barbarity of the practice.

I've been known to use the odd swear word - I'm one of Bingalau's ""were castigated for their low morals and bad behaviour.", but never in public and never in mixed company.

My son is also an ex-serviceman, we even served at the same time in the same squadron, thanks to gross incompetence by the drafting office, me as a Senior NCO and he as a young airman. Neither of us (he is now 48) has ever heard the other use more than the odd b**y, and even that infrequently.

Time and place, time and place.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like to string my expletives into a grammatically correct sentence!

A typical 'fruity' sentence wouldn't see me get much change out of a fiver, from my 'swear-box' bank.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Swearing often indicates a lack of vocabulary. Some GI's didn't swear but their descriptions were quite graphic. I think that this judge was incorrect.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Swear words have their place in our language - that's always been the case. The problem arises - in my view - when swear words are used so often in the course of normal conversation that they become devalued. Use word 'A' frequently enough and you'll soon have to step up to word 'B', and so on.

It can be offensive to make the assumption that others will tolerate the use of swear words in everyday conversations, and of course these words should never be used as weapons - telling a total stranger to #%*+~ off is to invite trouble.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'