We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Neutrinos win again

zzzz999

Likes # 0

As we approach an Olympic year a new pretender to the throne of sprint champion has emerged. Neutrinos have managed to repeat their feat from two months ago and have again beating the previous champion 'Speed of light'.

For many years we had thought speed of light, Like Ed Moses, was unbeatable. Now this young pretender has done it twice: the world of athletics has been turned on its head.

That old joke will need rewritten.....'Who's there'.....'knock knock'

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's another step, but it will be a lot more significant if another team, rather than just the original researchers, can replicate it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What's mind boggling to me is, that, most neutrinos coming from the Sun, pass right through planet Earth,as if it wasn't there.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Maybe, like the recent marathon cheat, some of the neutrinos caught the bus...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It is very interesting and still may cause a bit of a rewrite of our beliefs, but as morddwyd says it would be helpful to have a level of independent corroboration. Problem being there is only one of these machines so presumably any repeat testing will have that question mark hanging over any result.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I heard on Today that a University collective group including UK physicists are hoping to replicate the test by firing neutrinos from a facility in the USA to a detector in Canada. As neutrinos are so tiny and have no charge, I wonder if, even if the results are confirmed, just how much E = MC2 will need to be modified?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

"As neutrinos are so tiny and have no charge, I wonder if, even if the results are confirmed, just how much E = MC2 will need to be modified?"

I don't understand the relationship between the size of a neutrino, it's charge (or lack thereof) and E=Mc^2. Can you explain?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

From what I have read of this the measured difference in speed is a few millionths of a second, so would it not be more reasonable to assume that the nominal speed of light used was originally measured ever so slightly wrongly ? after all is was established quite a long time back in history

Perhaps not since that may lessen the chances of increased research funding to investigate this more fully

Cheers HC

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

OTT_B Not being a person trained in quantum physics, no! I hoped someone with such knowledge would comment. It is difficult to grasp the implications , but it is difficult to believe that so much work has seemed to confirm Einstein was correct. Unlike the suggestion that a "Higgs Boson" particle ought to exist to explain anomalies re mass, no one seems to have suggested a similar anomaly in the speed of light issue. Surely observations of the arrival of neutrinos and light from a supernova would have shown this phenomenon? Suggestions based on other dimansions being involved are also difficult to grasp!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If an athlete is competin' in the London Olympics called Alb. Ertstein...look out!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Albert's brain was cut into a thousand little pieces, (when he was dead), and put into jar's for mementos....just wait...'till he come's back in the future...to reprove his Theory of Special Relativity. "Vere.. is my brain, got dammit...I left it here a century ago?"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014