We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free Directory Enquiries for Virgin phone customers

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Free Directory enquiries

There's a limit of 10 per day apparently but much cheaper than most 118 calls.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

They have just done the same for 0870 and 0845 numbers so heading in the right direction.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I never fails to amaze me that we have not moved on to a system which I understand has been available in France for over 20 years. I'm not sure how it works but they have a central computer system which stores all numbers so new ones can be added very quickly as can any changes. Each home has a small box which can interrogate the central system, so basically there is no need for phone directories or expensive directory inquiries.

I'm sure safeguards are built in but this does seem a much better idea to me than constantly wasting tons of newsprint every year printing directories which are out of date before they are issued.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This has got to be a first BT Praising Virginmedia for giving free Directory Enquiries.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, but it's funny as I have all my services from Virgin, Tivo & V+ tv 20meg broadband and phone and I have to find this out from elsewhere.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

According to their website 0870 and 0845 numbers are not free for all packages and often not during the day.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Got an e-mail from them a fortnight ago and now get free 0870 and 0845 and directory inquiries.

I would imagine all Virginmedia customers that use the internet for paying their monthly bills would have received the same e-mail as myself.

I would actually add the e-mail contents on here but it gives my account number etc on it and I am not sure that part would stay deleted.

It is dates 1/11/11 but knowing from past experience you get nothing for nothing from V/M we can expect a price increase shortly.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I actually picked this up from the Cable Forum not from Virgin

Cable Forum

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting about the 0845 numbers as I didn't get an e-mail and I was charged for one as recently as this week. I'll have to contact them.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've downloaded their pdf file of charges from 1 Nov and this states that 0845 numbers are charged and with most packages 0870 are free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad