We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard Branson buys Northern Rock

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

A damn good move if you ask me from the VM group, looking into this takeover would this mean VM would in fact be getting into the housing market too?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

& here is the link i couldnt put on the forum before as the news was so new lol

Story Here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The figure of 747 million pounds - might be a 'working title' for VM's new acquisition! It's a big airplane, isn't it?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Fine, but Northern Rock (Asset Management) still owes £21 billion to the taxpayer so the sale, although welcome, is a relative drop in the ocean.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Perhaps we should do what the Italians have done, and have a cabinet of industrialists and technocrats, with Branson as Chancellor, or perhaps Trade Secretary!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The midas touch from someone is needed at the moment.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

anskyber. Not sure where your 21 billion came from. I thought it was £1.4 Billion.See here:

http://money.uk.msn.com/banking/northern-rock-bought-by-virgin-money-what-it-means-for-you

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If The new Virgin Money Bank (747) want me to move my money into their hands, then give me free mobile broadband or something similar.I have been with my current bank for 40 years. All banks are after your money.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"All banks are after your money."

Like any other business, that's why they exist.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd - banks are not 'like any other business'.Government has rescued them, while other businesses have folded.

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

John Bunyan he is refering to northen rock trhe bit were they put all the bad debt.

The size of the potential losses contained in the bad bank part of Northern Rock is still uncertain and it still owes the Treasury £21bn.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad