We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking For A New Car

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All. I know we have people on here who love cars, they might be able to help me decide what new car to buy. It must have the following attributes. Diesel powered; Three door model; Cruise control; Automatic gears; Plenty of room inside; Comfortable; Radio C.D. player; I've been looking at the V.W. Up which comes on the market next year, but it doesn't seem to have cruise control. There also seem to be so many variants of it that I am completely bamboozled trying to make sense of all the information. In other words there is too much information.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Bingalau,

I don't think you can go far wrong with a Golf, I believe they are probably the best car in it's class for that size of car. I nearly bought one last year but it was a bit out of my price range, so I bought a Ford Focus. I am more than happy with my Focus, and the new model has been touted as a Golf beater by some, having not driven one myself I would not be able to comment. The new Ford Fiesta looks a very good car as well, or how about an Audi A3 or A4? The build quality of the VW and Audi brands is far more superior than the Citroen and Renaults you mention, and they will also hold their value better when you decide to sell it on.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Bingalau if your millage is in the 6000 a year bracket then the extra you will pay for a diesel is not worth it, you not only pay extra for it being a diesel but you pay more for servicing the thing, ask how much it is to service a petrol model then ask how much and how often for a diesel.

As for using the back seats for luggage then I would recommend that before buying you ask for the seats to be put down in the back to see if they lay flat and do not leave a lip in the luggage area, if they don't then you can have trouble pushing any luggage to the front of the car, then try and see just how easy or hard it is for you to do the same.

As for trips to Germany I would be more bothered about comfort than economy, it's no good saving £10 in fuel if you arrive with a sore back.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

carver. Yes I have thought that comfort is one of the things I must be aware of. So I will be looking at seat adjustment limits, headroom etc. Thanks for the other information... I will keep it in mind.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Bingalau:

If you like the look of the VW UP!, you should consider one of these:

Skoda Citigo

I believe cruise control will be an available option.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a Skoda Felicia which is nearly the same as the VW Golf, but due to a bad back and slightly 'faulty' leg and knee, I had to stop using it, in favour of the larger and more comfortable Vauxhall estate that we have.

The Vauxhall costs a bit more in road tax, and about the same in insurance to that of the Skoda. Fuel consumption might be a little different, but I haven't really noticed that.

So taking all in consideration, it as to be the comfort car, more than anything else.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau - 'Top Gear' is one of my favourite bbc TV progs..I haven't got a car...but...

You could host a new show... 'Top Gear For Real People...with Dodgy Knees' hee hee.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......