We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking For A New Car

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All. I know we have people on here who love cars, they might be able to help me decide what new car to buy. It must have the following attributes. Diesel powered; Three door model; Cruise control; Automatic gears; Plenty of room inside; Comfortable; Radio C.D. player; I've been looking at the V.W. Up which comes on the market next year, but it doesn't seem to have cruise control. There also seem to be so many variants of it that I am completely bamboozled trying to make sense of all the information. In other words there is too much information.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Thanks for the information, now I know the reason for the problem. I have had the same problem in the past, but put it down to a slight technical blip on the day, or me!.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Cruise control has evolved a lot so these ideas may ban the older type of cruise control, not the newer system that also keeps a distance to the car in front. Merc trucks have had this type of distance control system many years now so you can’t rear end another car it’s safer. We do a lot of systems testing on this doing cycles of open traffic (high speed) into town traffic (low speed, stop start) and its working well.

Noldi

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Noldi, I suspect that the company you work for had a roadshow at the company that I work for a few weeks ago.....

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Bingalau , just what sort of mpg go you want to get out of a new car? and how many miles a year will you drive.

Also what are you going to use it for, trips to the shops? how many people will be in the car for the majority of trips? do you intend to ask an elderly person to climb into the back seats? do you need space for suitcases/shopping and the main one is how much you are prepared to spend.

These are the questions you should have mentioned in your first post.

As for running a diesel, it is suggested that to maintain the filter in good condition you need to drive at 50-60MPH in third gear for about 15-20 minutes with out a stop or slow down in speed during that period at least once a month and if you fall below that speed for any thing longer than a minute you need to start the whole thing again.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

carver

your last bit sounds like the plot of the Keanu Reeves film Speed, without the firey explosions.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - in the film you mentioned, the actors must have stopped for a 'brake' between 'takes', shirley!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

alan14 looking at the post it does indeed look a bit like the plot for that movie, only problem being that failure to do so can cost about £1000.00.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

Thread seems to have drifted a bit. Not much advice on what to buy other then the post about Toyota. Bingalau - I think there are much better value vehicles out there than VW. I think Citroen offer the best car for the money and have done for some time.

They usually score very well in Magazine tests and only fail to win group tests because What Car and others report that they suffer very poor depreciation. My recent car purchases indicate that this claim is totally wrong.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Carver

My mileage probably amounts to about 6000 these days. But I do go berserk some years and travel to the continent two or three times in addition to that.

Apart from local shopping trips I tend to do trips of about 25 miles about three times a week.

I can't remember the last time I had a rear seat passenger. But the back seats tend to get used as luggage space occasionally.

I have an aversion to buying anything French so Renaults and Citroen's are out. I once had a VW Golf and it was brilliant so that's why I am drawn to VW.

I have always been under the impression that diesel was a better fuel for distance driving. Ideal for my occasional trips to Germany.

I notice that with the VW Up there is an additional pack which has rear parking sensors, cruise control and multi function computer, whatever that is? This adds on another £350 to the OTR price. My experience of cruise control with my gammy knee and glass back make it a very friendly addition and I think worth the price for the cruise control alone. But I am still open to suggestions of a better car.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Tangalooma_2006 I will have a look at that model, Thanks to all for their replies on here, I am now worried sick about Diesel doing something dastardly to an engine if I don't do millions of miles non-stop every year!!!! (Only Joking)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July