We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking For A New Car

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All. I know we have people on here who love cars, they might be able to help me decide what new car to buy. It must have the following attributes. Diesel powered; Three door model; Cruise control; Automatic gears; Plenty of room inside; Comfortable; Radio C.D. player; I've been looking at the V.W. Up which comes on the market next year, but it doesn't seem to have cruise control. There also seem to be so many variants of it that I am completely bamboozled trying to make sense of all the information. In other words there is too much information.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Have a look at this site. Gives some very good impartial advice. www.honestjohn.co.uk/

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Bingalau

several euro countries are stopping cruise control, and france is pushing the EU to ban it in new cars as they consider it dangerous.

I like it on a long run but the problem our motorways are too busy to run it for very long.

so might be worth looking at a british built car if you want cruise control.

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

sunnystaines. I have got cruise control in my motorhome (FIAT) and use it a heck of a lot on long trips. It takes a lot of the strain off my gammy left knee too. That is one of the things I would like in a new car too. I would also like to buy British of course, forgot to mention that. But I am also looking at foreign cars as I spent hours on the Vauxhall site looking at new models and came away confused as could be. But I know someone on here will come up with good reasons to buy certain makes and models.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't think I could trust a car dealer that thought they had to prefix their name with honest!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

QUICKBEAM

He is one of the Telegraph motoring correspondents and dosn't pull any punches.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The name immediately brought this image to mind...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't buy a diesel if you are only doing short journeys. Have a look at some of the Hondas built/assembled in Swindon.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bingalau

If you want an automatic car, why would cruise control take strain off your "gammy left knee"

Would your budget stretch to a Mini?

I've got a Cooper Diesel and it's very economical and has an auto option, and may have cruise control somewhere in the lengthy options list.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Bingalau

You missed two vital pieces of information in your opening post....

1. New...new to you (second hand), or brand new?
  2. Total cost

sunnystaines

There are no plans whatsoever to ban cruise control, anywhere in Europe. The legal requirements just don't work in a way that one country could ban it, but allow it.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

"There are no plans whatsoever to ban cruise control, anywhere in Europe. The legal requirements just don't work in a way that one country could ban it, but allow it."

Hmmm. That didn't quite come out right.

There are no plans whatsoever to ban cruise control, anywhere in Europe. The legal requirements just don't work in a way that one country could ban it from being installed on a car, but another country in Europe allow allow it.

That's better.

The way the system works, is that it doesn't matter which country in Europe legally approves the car for sale. Once it is type approved in one country in Europe, it is type approved for all countries in Europe, and you don't have to get the type approval in the country where the car is manufactured or designed.

The French can make as many noises as they want for cruise control to be banned (I don't know if they are or aren't), but without an EU legislation, the most they could do is to ban its use on their own roads. I.e. have a system where cruise control can be installed, but not operated - which would be a near impossible thing to enforce.

Suppliers are investing vast amounts of money on cruise control systems to make them into safety devices, rather than driver convenience, and a lot of the adaptive and range sensing technologies are already available. If there were any chance that cruise control were going to be banned, the suppliers would stop developing the technology. This is not happening.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance