We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Queen's Hidden Cousins

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Documentary this Thursday Ch4 9.00pm, interesting how Burkes Peerage recorded them as dead many years earlier http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/royal-family-ignored-cousins-hidden-in-asylum-16076822.html

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would be sure in assuming that there are many dark and deep cupboards within the Royal households?.

When the recent discussions within the 'Commonwealth' countries were undertaken, it was suggested that Elizabeth might not have been on the throne now. But some German female, if 'rank and file' down the history charts had anything to do with it!.

Looking at the previews of the program, it looks interesting and possibly well worth watching!.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

That old news. - the Royal Earlswood Hospital was closed several years ago and is now a nice block of appartments. I dont know why thay have dragged the story up now, it's a fate that could/would have have happened to many people at that time.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you would like to dig back a few years (say the 15th century), you will find that, the English throne has not belonged to the English since then.

Then again, The British Isles (and yes, I include Scotland, Ireland and Wales) has been 'invaded' by so many different nations and cultures, that I believe thee is no longer a 'Pure' British family in the whole of the British Isles.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Terry

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I believe thee is no longer a 'Pure' British family in the whole of the British Isles."

If by 'pure'you mean people descended directly from the first settlers to arrive in what we call Britain you're probably right. They came from the Basque country at some point between 15,000 and 7500 years ago, and the rest, as they say, is history. If you really want to delve into our genetic origins you'll find that everyone in Britain is actually a direct genetic descendant from one of around 200 people who walked out of Northern Kenya around 60,000 years ago. We all carry African genes.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Dave Alan many moons ago ...

"They [the Welsh] are the Celts that couldn't swim"

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

The Romans ruled here for over 500 years, there can't be many of us that don't have Italian in us somewhere.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

The Romans didn't venture much further north than central belt Scotland. There was a recent TV programme that looked at the genetic make up of the UK and Norse plays a very big role.

Pure bred does not make strong genes.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'Pure bred does not make strong genes'

No, but Wrangler do :-)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

This is an old story which seems to resurface every 10 years or so. The news is getting like the film industry with a lack of ideas so lets redo old stuff.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My wife worked in Royal Earlswood for a couple of months while she was doing her SEN training at Redhill General at the beginning of the 80's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers