We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's the best way to 'recycle' 20 bags of leaves...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is the first time I have collected the leaves that have fallen from the two big trees, outside my flat.

I would like to make them into compost.

Has anybody had a go, at this endeavor?

Like this post
jtt

Likes # 0

I bag them and squash them down so that they take less space and you don't need many bags. I knot the bags to prevent rain water from entering, stack the bags, put something heavy in an usused bit of the garden and ignore them for six months, then mix them to even out the moisture.

I've read that leaves break down in a different way to other things that you compost (weeds, grass clippings, etc)...

• They break down mainly by the action of fungus, rather than bacteria
  • They don't need oxygen to break down, and don't warm up significantly when breaking down
  • They take a long time to break down, a year or two.
Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

LoL - I think jtt has perhaps missed the other 3 pages.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks jtt - I like your bullet points.My neighbour, who is a very keen gardener,also said, to me on the bus this morning, "it might take a couple of years for the leaves to decompose".

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Brumas....one bag or two?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Terry Brown is quite right that, if you want good leaf mould in the shortest possible time, you should shred the leaves before you put them in bags. They must also be kept quite damp. You can achieve this and simultaneously add a good activator if you pour beer or cider on them - but pass it through your kidneys first.

In other words, pee in the bags.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Pineman100 - human urine is sterile at the point of deposit. I will keep that in mind

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...leave it with me...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Who would have thought there was so much to say about decomposing dead leaves?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

FE - it just goes to show what a rich resource of knowledge resides in this forum!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad