We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Whats in a word?

gengiscant

Likes # 0

Being that it's Remembrance Day and I have been watching the programs on TV where guys have recounted stories from the World wars and I was minded that the word hero seems to be used to describe any and everyone who has just happened to have been posted to a conflict zone.

The guys who were recounting there tales were almost embarrassed to be considered hero's but when you think of the equipment these guys had the quite basic training the often quite brutal living conditions you cannot help but be moved by their stories.

But nowadays the word hero is leveled at anyone who has served in Afghanistan or previously Iraq where the closest most came to danger was hoping a scorpion had not crept into their boots.

This post in no way denigrates the the incredible acts of heroism we have come to hear about from our service personnel in these countries and others.But could the media please reserve the word Hero (" A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life") for people that deserve to be called it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, I totally agree. I always thought Hero should be reserved for those who did something 'over and above the call of duty'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Recalling past stories from grown ups, overheard as a young 'un, I always considered that every family that had someone return from a war was considered a hero to them.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seemed to start with the Help for Heroes charity, which does really good work, but it does seem to be a misuse of the word hero. There are, of course, many unsung heroes too.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. I am not denying that on a personal level of course anyone returning from a conflict zone is a hero in their family's eyes. I am talking about how the media depicts everyone who has been in on even near a conflict zone.

Woolwell. There are, of course, many unsung heroes too. Without a shadow of doubt.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Similar to the other over used word 'star' especially when prefaced by 'soap'.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Wiz-king. Or celebrity, there's a word that has no real meaning these days.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Unfortunately that's when "super s" and "mega s" come in. There seems to be an implied pecking order of s is linked with with regional variations implying "extraness" like "Hollywood s" which I assume is better than "Bollywood s"

Don't you just love it when some croaky old oik who gets to bootcamp is called an "X Factor s"

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Now that the X Factor is becoming 'run of the mill'...what about 'The OMEGA STRAIN...!' for a new TV talent show.

Anyone who switches off their TVs, is a little hero, in my estimation.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I detest this fashion for applying superlatives to just about anyone who does anything at all. People who get up on stage in a talent contest and manage to stumble through a song with only a few flat notes are said to have 'nailed it' or 'owned the stage' or the audience has been 'blown away' by it.

Military people who simply do what they joined up to do are deemed 'heroes' just for being there.

Help someone out by doing a little favour and you're likely to be called 'a star'.

Listen to Joanna Lumley talking about her televised journey around Greece and you'll be told that everything is 'fantastic' and 'marvellous'. Food judges tell contestants that cooking 'just doesn't get harder than this' and that their jam roly-poly is 'absolutely stunning'. Flavours 'just explode' in your mouth.

Some media people seem to believe that nothing is worth describing unless it's done with a liberal dose of superlatives.

Now I'm off to be blown away by a stunning cup of fabulous tea.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - you may be 'pulled up' for such sensible remarks...by the ...FE!...Well said, man. That cuppa, will be a quencher'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...