We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

On Line Buying

morddwyd

Likes # 0

This could be in Consumerwatch, but it’s an observation rather than an experience.

Like many, I suspect, I find myself doing more and more online shopping, even for the more mundane everyday items, but delivery times do vary greatly.

No-one expects every small seller to achieve the “next day” standards of Amazon, but neither should “Allow 28 days for delivery” become the norm.

I find myself increasingly waiting ten days or a fortnight after “Your item has been despatched” or after the money has gone from my account before the goods actually appear.

In today’s competitive market they are unlikely to keep my business even if the cost is marginally lower, unless they can deliver in a week

I know most of them say “We have no control after the goods have been despatched” but they do – use a more efficient carrier.

I know, it would cost more, but on the other hand they wouldn’t lose so many potential customers. I could also, in many cases, opt for expedited delivery, but in many cases it's a fairly big premium.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The only online retailer I have a problem with in regards to delivery is 7 Day Shop, who seem to take their name as a starting point for delivery times. I've never had anything from them in less than 7 days (similar to More Than insurance, who's quotes are always More Than just about everyone else).

Other retailers usually deliver in less than 7 days, I got an item recently from More Computers in a shade over 12 hours.

I've ordered two things from Vistaprint recently, and as neither order was urgent (2012 calendar & xmas cards) selected the Slow Delivery option, both arrived well within the 28 day quoted time.

This isn't limited to online sellers though. I deal with a number of large CCTV manufacturers at work, spending around £250k a month, and delivery times vary massively. Far Eastern suppliers can be forgiven, as they normally wait for a full UK container before despatching, but the US company I deal with has a 4 week delivery lead-time, and this is airfreight for goods in stock.

Two European companies have vastly different policies, one despatches next day for any order, so we get the kit in three or four days, another only despatches twice a week, and then only if we've accumulated €3,000 of order, or we have to wait for the next shipping slot. Once despatched they obviously take the long way round, as delivery takes 5 days from Scandinavia...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The argument that 'you get what you pay for' may apply in some instances, but for any retailer that wishes to retain a good reputation and turnover customer satisfaction must be high on the list.

My attitude to suppliers is that if they are good I recommend them and use them, if not I pass my experience on.

As Alan14 indicates, location of a supplier also comes into the equation, but within the UK there is little excuse for failing to deliver within a week of ordering.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I tend to buy everything on-line do to one reason or another, most of the time delivery is within 2 or three days or with the likes of Scan and Ebuyer less than 24 hours. I myself always post items I have sold on Ebay and the like as soon as I receive payment.

I think it comes down to good customer service which all to often it is way down the list of company priorities along with paying refunds in a timely manner.

If a company is putting on their website a up to 28 days delivery I quite simply do not shop with them.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I ordered a mouse on Amazon on 9th October. Only when it failed to arrive in a reasonable time did I discover it was coming from Hong Kong.

The seller told me she had sent it Royal Mail Shipping Service: Register Airmail, with a Hong Kong Post tracking number. This told me it had left Hong Kong on 18th October.

Amazon refunded me on 10th November.

It still hasn't arrived.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You have to allow a reasonable time for a mouse to operate the exercise wheel all the way from Hong Kong, it can't be easy being a mouse.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I thought 'allow 28 days for delivery', had gone by 1976.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What a coincidence, I've just had delivered two bear root fruit trees that I ordered in early October supposedly for 1st November delivery. The invoice makes apologies for the delay due to the exceptionally warm autumn delaying despatch times.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...even bare root, no bears were sent by post, they have to be delivered within 24 hours...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Royal Mail still insist you wait for 28 days before making a claim...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Royal Mail still insist you wait for 28 days before making a claim..."

Ah yes, but they still operate to Roland Hill's original requirements of 1850. ;-))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...