We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Comet Clearance Sale (I doubt it!)

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Comet sold for £2, plus a £500m sweetener.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/09/comet-sold-50m-pound-dowry-kesa?newsfeed=true

It's been rightly said, it's tough out there.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I think I could have stretched to a fiver for it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I hope they washed out the mixers first!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

The buyer only had a £2 coin in their pocket

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Why £2" - To avoid confusion with Poundland?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Aldi and Lidl are the 'new kids on the block', and can provide locally, small electrical appliances at reasonable prices, along with everything you could think of.Their store staff are all well-mannered, and seem to be able to do many different tasks, and when the queues get a bit long at the check-out,they summon more staff to the tills,to keep the customers happy.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I'm slightly surprised that it's Comet who have been fire-sold, rather than a rival. My personal experience of Comet has been that their staff have a modicum of product knowledge, whereas I've found that A. N. Other store staff have none.

I went into an A.N.O. branch the other day to have a look at a Kindle e-reader - my planned Christmas gift for Mrs Pineman100. I had a number of questions about the device (which must surely rank as one of the hottest sellers just now). But the salesman's stock response to almost all my "Will it do...?" questions was, "I should think so".

When I explained that I needed unequivocal facts rather than vague opinions before I was prepared to part with £149, he told me (courteously, it must be said), "Well, we stock hundreds of different products - I can't know everything about all of them".

Needless to say, my plastic stayed in my pocket.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Maybe Darth Vader had forgotten to visit that store!!! I guess his arthritis is getting worse.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The reason for the £2 sale is given in the article,it is because the insurance company Triptych was also part of the deal.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

morddwyd I think you have given them £450m too much of a sweetener :))

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Having worked in the CIC (Customer information Centre)in Hull on George st, i can tell you they are a nightmare to work for! you as a member of staff are over monitored and your sales targets are Phenomenal,

For example when i worked there several years ago i had a £48k sales target for the month of December i hit just over £62k BUT to get the £200 bonus i then had to sell so many Warranty's then so many Accessories THEN i my calls where monitored by my supervisor as well as the floor manager as well as the dedicated monitoring team that Comet have!

I missed the xmas bonus as i didnt sell enough Warranty's but yet they had earned £62k from me plus the accessories..IMHO that wasnt fair!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features