We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Plank

Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Yesterday evening I watched The Plank, again! I still find it as funny as I did the first time, many years ago.

I think The Plank would serve very well as a masterclass in visual comedy for today's crop of comedians and comedy actors.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

Not see The Plank for years, it is very funny, but different people find different things funny, and for today's audiences it may just go down like a lead balloon.

My boss is off to see Lee Evans tomorrow. He loves him, but I can't stand him.

Last week I saw Dave Spikey, I find him hilarious, but my boss just doesn't find him funny.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I listen a lot to bbc radio4's comedy offerings, including The News Quiz, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Another Case Of Milton Jones, Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show,Ed Reardon's Week, Just A Minute, Old Harry's Game, The Shuttleworths,Tina C...and of course "Today In Parliament"...are my top ten.I invariably laugh out loud.

Most of the other 'comedy' on radio4 does not raise a titter for me!

The Plank is CLASSIC visual comedy.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps 'The Plank' is one of those gems that never seem to go away for certain older or mild thinking audiences?.

I wonder how many of the so called funny people of today, will still be remembered in years to come, like some of the old trooper's?.

Today I find that 'modern' humour as to have a whole range of higher rate swear words and repeated obscenities or violence, before the youth or middle age group audiences will accept it.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Both versions of the plank can be seen on youtube

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

mole44 - what's the "other version"?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

I wonder how many of the so called funny people of today, will still be remembered in years to come, like some of the old trooper's?

just how many of the 60's & 70's comedians can you remember?

It's the same with music, everyone says the old stuff is the best, but completely forgets the incredible amount of dross that was released at the same time as the good stuff you remember.

For the record, I think Peter Kay will be fondly remembered in time to come, as his humour is gentle and largely obscenity free.

I also think Lee Evens will be popular for a long time, although personally I find him as funny as major dental surgery.

by the way - look back at The Comedians, whilst it may have had 70's audiences rolling in the aisles, most of the content of that program would be unbroadcastable today as the humour was very racist & sexist...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

I can still remember Tommy Cooper, Spike Milligan and a number of others. And if I go back enough Max Wall, Charlie Chester and some of the others from also around that time. Buster Keaton, Olly and Stan, Charlie Chaplin are still some firm favourites.

And funny enough now that you mention it, I seem to recall that the powers in being in television are thinking about starting a similar series, styled on the old Comedians program. I doubt though, that they will have another "Hello me old fruit" Charlie Williams replacement!.

Perhaps I am of the generation, that 'Live at the Apollo' doesn't really appeal to me!.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees, "I think The Plank would serve very well as a masterclass in visual comedy for today's crop of comedians and comedy actors" I'm in total agreement with you and, having just finished reading Eric Sykes autobiography, If I Don't Write It Nobody Else Will, regard him as a the GodFather of good clean hilariously funny comedy, both written and visual.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If anyone does not find The Plank amusing they have no sense of humor.

Or maybe it is just us golden oldie's that like it.

The last time I looked you could still Google it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well here it is worth another look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R75WrhG4T54

See how many faces that you recognize.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen