We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

devaluation of the euro

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

cannot understand why they have not mentioned this option, surley it would help eire, portugal, spain & italy get back on their feet [greece is just a lost cause]

in fact i think it would help all the eurozone lot.

will boost exports and ease the debt.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

FM

thanks was no aware of that, I suppose the ECB cannot over ride that.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think the only way of actually devaluing the Euro is to print more. However, Germany dislikes that option as a result of its history.

If more Euro notes were put into circulation it may well help the current situation in the very short term. They would need to be withdrawn as the economic strength of those countries currently affected improved and this may cause another problem. Additionally if the economic situation declined even with the release of a greater volume of currency then inflation could escalate rapidly - Germany's fear.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

johndrew. I have quite a few Euros in Holland where I worked until about 10 years ago, which have risen against the £ in the last few years. Do I bring them back now? The £ has fallen badly as we have printed money- used to get 2 -2.5 Australian or US $ or 1.4 Euros.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

johndrew - "inflation could escalate rapidly - Germany's fear."

Dead right. Germany has a deep-seated horror of inflation, because of their history of hyperinflation in the early 1920s - caused by the Government's unfettered printing of money.

In 1923 particularly, inflation raged at a staggering pace - prices of commodities sometimes doubling within one day. People were paid several times a day and rushed out to buy basics before the price increased again.

When my father returned from WWII, he brought back several German banknotes dating from 1923. They had all been overprinted several times with higher and higher values. The last overprint on one of them was "10 billion Deutchmarks" and was - my father told me - insufficient to buy a loaf of bread.

Nowadays, of course, we don't print money. We undertake "Quantitative Easing". What's the difference?

That's a very good, and rather important, question.

Like this post
Wilham

Likes # 0

Pineman 100. "Quantitative Easing. What's the difference?"

That's easy to answer, as I think you know. In the old way the government printed money and used it directly to pay off debts. The modern 'Quantitative Easing' is printing money and lending it through a central bank at around zero interest to proper banks on condition most of it is available on loan to the right businesses to reduce unemployment and boost the economy.

More difficult is "Will it work?"

By central bank I mean an institution with close ties to the government, and usually having a monopoly to print money. To me a proper bank includes the one we know in the high street that keeps our accounts. But there are anomalies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...