We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fifa ban prompts debate over wearing poppy

Proclaimer

Likes # 0

enter link description here

The debate on whether wearing a poppy is a political gesture or not has been raised by a challenge by the FA and the UK government to a ban by Fifa on allowing the England football team to wear the symbol.

I never thought of the Poppy as Political or Religious before but now I am thinking it must be. To me it has been part of our heritage to wear a Poppy and I accepted that long before I fully recognised the sacrifice that went before it. I never like Politics or Religion in sport but is it really going to be offensive to wear a Poppy on a Football shirt or any other shirt for that reason?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I could understand the not wearing 'loose' poppies on 'elf & safety grounds but if it is printed on a shirt I cant see the point of a ban. The British Legion sends poppies to 126 countries.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I would have thought that all nations had some remembrance for their dead; such actions are memorial with some religious content.

Perhaps if FIFA consider political affiliation unacceptable they would like to consider banning the singing/playing of national anthems and use of national flags. Yet again the incompetence and stupidity of an international sporting body is brought into the spotlight!!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

As several of my friends status have said on facebook, "if you think wearing a poppy is offensive, please unfriend me" or words to that effect.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I refrain from wearing a poppy, bought for charity...I prefer to proudly wear clothes bought from my local charity shop...the money goes to a good cause.I grow my own poppies in pots.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

"Would we be supportive if Argentina wanted to wear something to commemorate the Belgrano's crew? " Yes ! . They were service men who paid the ultimate price serving their country and the Argentines have every right to commemorate that. Fifa apparently claims the ban is partly because it could offend the Germans, the Germans say that not only are they not offended nobody from Fifa has raised the issue with them. Looks rather like Sepp Blatter getting his own back because the English dared to suggest he was corrupt in public rather than do the usual three monkeys trick.

The only argument to support the Fifa action is that it's irritated the English defence league, I find being on the same side of an argument as them profoundly depressing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The England team will wear the poppies.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Silly of topic question -- are the English team English? Most footballers seem to come from abroad these days.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Hope they don't pin them on the way that the poppy seller pinned mine on when I donated Saturday. Just managed to avoid crying out in agony.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

Unfortunately it has now become a bit of a ritual for which you are reviled if you are not seen to be taking part.

Like many others here I have paraded before more war memorials than I care to remember (and for serving personnel there is a lot more preparation than just ensuring you are at the starting point at the right time) and on far too many occasions listened to the echoes of rifle shots across cemeteries but on the odd occasions when I have left my poppy at home I have been taken to task for "not wearing my poppy with pride".

I have never worn my poppy with pride, but only with humility because I m mstill here and they are not.

The "poppy police" are just another area where the political correctness brigade have taken over.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

wiz-kng Yes they are english, thats why they haven't won anything for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer