We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you read this?

Kev.Ifty
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have posted as question to you guys and it has not appeared. The only negative thing I saw was my Title question was not comprehensive enough.

What am I missing?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

"Another example of the gimmicky "must be like all the others" new site"

Actually it's a way of speeding up searches for others, which may be why "all the others" use the same system.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

The idea is good, but the application poor.

As somebody has already pointed out, the tag needs to bear no relation to the subject, some people simply repeat the thread title, and and on most of "the others" tags are optional, not compulsory

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mordwydd

We can hardly control what people decide to use as tag words. As for making tagging compulsory, if we didn't do that most people wouldn't tag, and then we would see complaints about slow searching. We have an absolutely huge archive, and tags make searching it a much faster process.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just posted one with a repeat of the title as it was the best tag in my mind.

Also when the post tagging first started I was playfully dropping some poor Latin tags in until the headmaster noticed and put a stop to it:)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I am a bit confused by the term "all the others" used here is this referring to other forums? If so none of the other forums I subscribe to require you to add tags.Or am I missing something here?

Its probably me as I have only just realized that there is indeed a way to search the forums, I think I need to upgrade my glasses.LOL.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"We have an absolutely huge archive, and tags make searching it a much faster process."

I'm not arguing with that.

I'm simply pointing out that most, if not all, of the other forums I visit, who might also be expected to have vast archives, have tagging as an option, not a requirement.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I've seen no mention of tags on the other forums I visit.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I seem to recall a lot moaning about the search feature not being very good.

I thought the tags were to help make searching faster and more relevant.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - your empirical formula for sugar (tag) was 'a good 'un'...it did not go unnoticed....I'm workin' on a DNA (tag) post... :o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... An RNA post (tag) would be a mirror image...of course.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback