We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's in a name?

gengiscant
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone else notice that all to often correspondence be it letter or email is not being signed without a gender specific title prior to the signature? The letter/email is invariably addressed to me as Mr etc etc but unless the person's name is obviously male or femail, how does one address a formal reply?

I have taken to begining a reply with dear Mr/Ms but that is not at all satisfactory. I am certainly not keen to address a reply to the full name of a person particularly if it is a formal letter to someone I have never met. Surely if they are addressing me as Mr then it is correct that I reply in the same manner.

Interested to know how you deal with this type of situation.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What a pity the neither the F E or ICaudio did not bother to read my original post, my question,again,was how to address a person who has signed their letter/email with their full name but where the first name can be either male or female and omit to include a title.

My post was not about how to sign off a communication.

I'm guided by courtesy and common sense perhaps you can explain how you put this in to practice with my original question or perhaps you would rather wait to see if the F E offers his views then you can agree with whatever he says.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

gengiscant

FE did actually offer a solution

If the person signs a letter J Smith, you respond Dear J Smith, if they sign off Andy Smith and you are unsure if they male, female or even transgender, you respond Dear Andy Smith...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

gengiscant

I did read your opening post, and I offered an answer to the question you posed.

You're the one who seems not to be doing much reading.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Hello or Hi are not gender specific. I use Hello to emails from the UK and Hi if it seems to be American - not a perfect solution but no complaints yet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home