We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's in a name?

gengiscant
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone else notice that all to often correspondence be it letter or email is not being signed without a gender specific title prior to the signature? The letter/email is invariably addressed to me as Mr etc etc but unless the person's name is obviously male or femail, how does one address a formal reply?

I have taken to begining a reply with dear Mr/Ms but that is not at all satisfactory. I am certainly not keen to address a reply to the full name of a person particularly if it is a formal letter to someone I have never met. Surely if they are addressing me as Mr then it is correct that I reply in the same manner.

Interested to know how you deal with this type of situation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My son was fired from Debenhams for calling a woman "Madam" as in "Yes, Madam, how can I help?"

She thought he was being insolent!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

'indolent' is the correct word usage in this setting...obviously, she got her vocabulary in a twist. (and not her knickers!)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...might have been Hilda Baker....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - I think that you have your knickers in a twist. Indolent means lazy.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My knickers are twisted...you win the argument...I have been very indolent.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Personally I think it's unimportant, all this concern about how people should be addressed.

If someone signs off with 'yours sincerely, J. Smith' instead of 'Yours faithfully, Ms. J. Smith' does it really matter? It's easy enough to reply 'Dear J. Smith'.

Forms of address,and the way letters are signed off matter less to me than correct spelling and reasonable grammar. Don't get me started on those two subjects.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

I can't believe that grown-up people are spending time discussing this....

Many years ago, when we all communicated via letters, writing 'sincerely' or 'faithfully' made a big difference and I used to worry about it.

As FE says, grammar and spelling are still important, but as for addressing the writer of an email, I'm guided by courtesy and common sense, not some outmoded etiquette.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

... but there I go discussing it :)

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I write few emails or letters,& receive very few as a result.As with FE & others,I do tend to be irked by poor grammar & spelling most especially when they are from the school my daughter attends.I have lost count of the lousy spelling in the emails from her school,& think to myself if that's the standard of education in the admin offices then I fully expect my daughter to struggle with grammar & punctuation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I can't believe that grown-up people are spending time discussing this"

"I'm guided by courtesy and common sense, not some outmoded etiquette."

How arrogant.

Other people have different views to yours, and actually spend time expressing them.

How dare they?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED