We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anothr slant on the M5 incident

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

The mention of impaired visibilty raises all all sorts of issue- this was in an area known for fog.

The allegation of drifting smoke is being looked into.

Which is why STUBBLE BURNING -a common practice many years ago was Banned.

Any intentional activity the can impair visibility on a motorway would be considered in appropriate

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Unravelling the "Chain of events" that lead up to these tragedies must indeed be difficult and indeed gruesome. The exact cause may never be known due to the large number of vehicles involved. I am sure the agencies tasked with the job will endevour to find a probable cause. After these events the "What if's" emerge, however no amount of numbercrunching can determine why a certain mix of vehicles happen to occupy the same section of road at the same instant.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If an individual is found to be at blame, then that would possibly be a very different matter?."

It is a club function and the club would be liable, that's the whole point of public liability insurance - it covers your public liability.

I have £6m cover under my household policy, I have already suggested around £20m for a club.

If an individual is to blame that individual might face criminal charges, but the club would still be finally responsible for any damages awarded.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not necessarily the club that could be liable but the firework display company. Apportioning blame (if there is any part from the drivers) will take some time and, as I said in an earlier post, is likely to keep lawyers busy for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more