We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anothr slant on the M5 incident

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

The mention of impaired visibilty raises all all sorts of issue- this was in an area known for fog.

The allegation of drifting smoke is being looked into.

Which is why STUBBLE BURNING -a common practice many years ago was Banned.

Any intentional activity the can impair visibility on a motorway would be considered in appropriate

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Wasn't one of the main reasons stubble burning stopped, was due to campaigners talking about the environment and ozone layers?.

When you see large amounts and the scale of de-foresting taking place in some parts of the globe, then stubble burning is perhaps a minute point in question?.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Hadn't the firework display finished about 15 mins. BEFORE the accident happened ? I know smoke tends to hang about in still, humid air, but it all seems a bit odd. The majority view seems to be that the vehicles involved were driving too close to each other, always a recipe for disaster.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It may have been better to have added these comments to the precious thread M5 pile up

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Most of you will be too young to remember "Smog", I'll admit that I only vaguely remember one.

Smog is a mixture of Smoke and Fog that is created when there is cold weather and a clear sky, the traditional "High".

An Anticline is formed by Air Masses at different temperatures. This traps a layer cold air, creating the conditions that are favourable for a Low-lying Fog. If smoke is also added to the mix, a dense almost solid Smog is formed, dropping visibility to a matter of a few feet. Frequently a driver will be unable to see an object more than a couple of feet in front of his bonnet.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I seem to recall Smog in early life had another title at times- Pea Souper?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Would the public liability insurance for a fireworks event cover this incident if it's found to be the cause?

Just wondered, as I wouldn't think that it was ever envisaged by the insurers that such a catastrophe might occur. If it was found to be the root cause, then I would think that insurance for organised events would go through the roof and jeopardise all other regular charity firework events.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Interesting point that you have made, regarding public liability insurance.

My local council 'insist' that any event which they approve or licence, must have 'adequate insurance' for any public events, and this as led to some event organisers cancelling the event, because (a) it became to expensive (b) the cover offered was not acceptable, or could not be obtained.

On a few very rare occasions, the council covered the liability themselves, because they thought the risk was very low!.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"I would think that insurance for organised events would go through the roof and jeopardise all other regular charity firework events."

I know for a fact that many organized fireworks displays in our area have fallen by the wayside over the past few years because the insurance costs have become prohibitive.

spuds

"My local council 'insist' that any event which they approve or licence, must have 'adequate insurance' for any public event"

It would appear from this evenings news that the local council are saying that this event did not require their approval or a licence,which not only sounds incredulous,but also begs the question that if no approval of licence were required then maybe the organizers would have thought - why bother about insurance - if they did not have to answer to anyone then why bother?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

cocteau48

My local council over the past 2/3 years have increased their views on awareness regarding stewarding/security, safety barriers, medical provisions that any public event should need or require. We even had a Scout's parade cancelled, because the route supposedly required safety barriers, which proved expensive for the Scout's to provide.

Pity the local council haven't taken the same view on religious parades or celebrations that seem to occur only to often in the city!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Would the public liability insurance for a fireworks event cover this incident if it's found to be the cause?"

It's hard to see how any form of insurance would 'cover' the deaths of seven people.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September