We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's Ours?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

So the German owners of British Midland are selling it to the Spanish owners of British Airways.

Do we own anything of British value any more?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

British Airways is actually the International Airlines Group see wikipedia

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I did

"with its registered office in Madrid, Spain."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do we own anything of British value any more?

Well, there's BT, Morgan cars,BP,Vodafone,Rolls Royce (aero engine division),Tesco, Sainsburys, John Lewis,The BBC,Aston Martin, Glenfiddich....the list is still a long one,and anyway,in this age of globalisation does it really matter?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Aston Martin is co owned by Ford and Investment dar a Kuwaiti company, Wouldn't call that a British Company

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Rolls Royce by BMW

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"does it really matter?"

It does to me, that;s why I posted.

Purely personal, of course.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Kevscar

FE specifically stated Rolls Royce (aero engine division), which is listed on the London Stock Exchange, so would be widely regarded as a British company, it's also head-quartered in Westminster.

Rolls Royce cars are indeed owned by BMW, and Bentley by VW, and let me tell you as someone who's driven (but unfortunately not owned) Pre & Post sale RR & Bentley cars, they are now far better than they used to be. Although maybe the fact that so many footballers own Continentals does tarnish their image somewhat...

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

you are right about aero division my apology

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

morddwyd?

Were you referring to the likes of:

British Coal

British Steel

British Rail

All sold off by the previous Tory government.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......