We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How quickly one can forget stuff

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I 'hung up' Windows a couple of months ago and now run my only current machine with Ubuntu-

The other day one of the flock phoned in distress claiming she had 'lost everything' and could not get on line etc.

So I went to see what what was what and found I was at a loss as to what to do - where as only a month or so ago I was sorting similar problems for her and others.

I guess I shall have to resurrect a Windows Machine- if only to keep up with the machinations of uncle Bills crew.

The good lady eventually got sorted by one of those nice guys at Virgin- she later told me

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's good to have a dabble at everything in life, then, have a personal refresher course on things twenty years on...you may surprise yourself at just how good you STILL are!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I "Gave Up" Windows a while ago, and now run Mac only. I still get regular calls from friends in need of help. Yesterday I replaced a hard drive in a friends Mothers machine, and re-installed Windows Vista.

What shocked me was the sheer amount of time it takes to perform a clean install.....Her retail copy was minus any service packs, and even with my fast BB connection, the process took me some 3-4 hours to complete.

I must admit, I am happier in my Mac world these day's, but it's good to keep your hand in.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Tony Buzan has authored lot's of books on improving your memory.

If you have got a good imagination, then you can improve your recall of hundreds of lists.

Tony Buzan will guide you through it.

Your local library will have some of his books.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

"if you dont use it you loose it"

applies to many things in life

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Sunnystaines Oh yes- Reminding I do not need- various bits of me and mine no longer function for that very reason ;-(

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope my memories of using an Amiga 1000 come back to me, when I dust it down, and reconnect.I don't foresee any problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...