We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

M5 pileup

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Accidents can happen to anyone but when this sort of thing occurs I wonder if the policy of creating high speed padded soundproof boxes isolated from the outside world is a good one.

The 'my cars got a high safety rating' and the 'I'm in here with my phone and stereo and the rest of the world is far far away' style of car adverts may have a lot to answer for.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

sudden black fog has been mentioned as a possible cause, never heard of that before.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I live only a few miles from the scene and was at a firework display at the time. The fog was heavy but was very inconsistent, one minute average and within seconds dense, then back to misty.

Looking at the pictures on the BBC it can be seen that the crash site is very close to the northbound on ramp.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

A sudden patch of really thick fog could be all that it took to bring about this tragedy.

Imagine plunging into a pocket with virtually zero visibility. What do you do? Plough on regardless hoping for an improvement? Brake instinctively? In which case someone who like you suddenly can't see, shunts you or swerves into the path of someone else?

The dilemma is probably faced many times over the country and nothing horrible happens, but in these conditions it only takes one collision then "safe following speeds and spacing" are not enough.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

One thing I noticed in the news pictures is that the "advisories" were flashing 30 or 40 mph.

Since the road had been closed for some time one assumes that this was the advisory before the incident.

Some of these vehicles were clearly travelling in excess of such speeds.

With the greatest respect to our own WTM, all too often these majors start off with a minor shunt which is then ploughed into by a number of HGVs.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I don’t have any figures to back my claim but I believe that a large number of motorway crashes happen at junctions, From what I have seen when driving on motorways a lot of people don’t understand how to use a slip road either to slow down or to join the traffic at a similar speed. Fri morning on the M25 (J9 – J11) was a accident waiting to happen the speed some people where driving in heavy rain was too fast, the guy in the 2nd lane doing 40mph being passed both sides by cars and trucks was just as bad. The AA rep on BBC news pointed out people drive to close to each other and tailgating should be a prosecutable offence, I totally agree.

Noldi

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I believe that a large number of motorway crashes happen at junctions

Agree with that statement

when you see people cutting across from the outside lane to get to the slip road with about 50 yards to go.

trying to join at either too high or too low a speed, cutting in early or
going right to the end of the slip road before joining

vehicles that won't move over or slow slightly to let you in off the slip road.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The AA rep on BBC news pointed out people drive to close to each other and tailgating should be a prosecutable offence, I totally agree.

It is it falls within Driving Dangerously or the lesser offence of Careless Driving - No need for more legislation.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I agree with Noldi, standard of driving when joining or leaving motorways in this country is deplorable and getting worse all the time.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Just read this which could be a useful tool in ascertaining the cause of an accident http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9631683.stm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features