We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Amazing, £17000 award to illegal immigrant!

Blackhat

Likes # 0

£17360 to illegal immigrant

Convicted for over 20 offences in 3 years but detained illegally for 4 months and judge awards £17360. for wrongful imprisonment.

Granted legal aid, this has all come out of tax payer’s money. Something is wrong about the system for this to happen.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

It would seem the 'something wrong' was the Home Office, who locked him up when they shouldn't have.

If the Home Office don't know the 'rules' then there can be little complaint about the damages.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Beg to differ, wish I could get £17K for four months doing nothing...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think it is wrong because he obstructed enquiries to establish his country of origin so that he could avoid deportation. He had used at least five aliases and claimed to be British, Italian, Moroccan, Algerian and stateless. Therefore to my mind he was only held in custody because he wouldn't state his country of origin.

He seems to have got compensation for misleading the enquiries.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Law is an ass - Can I say that?

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Nothing amazes me anymore - in fact this sort of thing all seems standard now.

It's only taxpayers money being used up so what's the problem?

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

In my heart I always knew that one day we would agree about something - play the music, roll the titles, stroll into the sunset!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

badgery

I totally agree with you as well.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Aw, shucks, this is getting to be too much - I'll be getting emotional next!

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

So it does pay to be a criminal.No doubt he will be on the phone to relatives and friends saying paradise is england.

The idea that someone has been given carte blanche by the law to continue ignoring the laws of the land and indeed get paid pretty much 2 thirds of my annual working wage for doing so shows how belittled this country has become.

Now that a precedent has been set the industry now has a sure fire means of bypassing any regulations pertaining to their removal.

Do not reveal your identity or origin,all of those who are being remanded pending deportation proceedings must be kicking themselves.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

daz60

"So it does pay to be a criminal"

Please try to get your facts right before making sweeping statements. This man isn't being paid because he is a criminal, he's being paid compensation because we imprisoned him illegally.

As someone has already pointed out, we are a civilised country, and we broke one of our own laws. It doesn't matter who the victim of an illegal detention is - it's still illegal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite