We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ever heard of a shredder?

interzone55

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15588726

With householders constantly reminded about identity theft and the need to shred all documents with addresses on, why do MPs offices and many businesses think it's ok to chuck documents in the bin.

We have shredder bins all around our offices, and once a month Iron Mountain come round and empty the bins directly into an industrial shredder in the back of a wagon.

Whilst this is not something every small business and MPs office can afford, a simple cross-cut shredder costs about £20 from Argos...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

My recycling sacks are transparent and I don't think that the local council is stupid for having transparent bags. I don't put discarded correspondence in them un-shredded and neither should Vince Cable's staff. I haven't heard that any disciplinary action has been taken against the member of staff.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I use a manual 'hurdy gurdy' type shredder, so much greener.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The only problem is -- shedded paper take up a lot more space in the bin.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

shredded paper takes up no more space in the bin if you compress it, and both councils I've lived in recently have accepted bagged shredded paper in the recycling

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Unusually slack debating from you fourm member

The point is the transparent recycling bags also contained personal details of the Liberal Democrat's constituents. Whether it was potentially mundane or not is irrelevant, it breaches data protection. So your speculation about what may or may not have happened does not carry things forward.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Wevarentold to put our shreddings in the garden waste bin.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

fourm member

OK, I accept the reasonableness of the factual position as you set it out. Technically there is no ruling and there is room for doubt and as a result Cable could be in the clear.

I formed my opinion from two quotes, one from a spokeswoman from the ICO who said "This is the second example in recent weeks of an MP or their staff allegedly mishandling constituency paperwork and again highlights the need to ensure that personal details are kept secure," I acknowledge the word "allegedly"

Secondly from Vince Cable himself when he is quoted as saying "Nonetheless, some correspondence which should have been protected was placed in bags for recycling outside the office.

"I apologise unreservedly to all my constituents for what has clearly been an unacceptable breach of their privacy."

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

My Shredding goes into my compost bins - the worms love it.

I know that organic gardeners frown on this practice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes