We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

That's Not Really the Idea!

morddwyd

Likes # 0

We've got a visit from social services on Friday, they're coming to do a care assessment.

My wife is now in bed in a state of exhaustion, having spent the last three days going round the house in her power chair using her one good arm to vacuum, dust and clean in every last corner.

I have tried to explain that this is likely to be counter productive, but, as I'm sure some of you will have already surmised, I'm wasting my time!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

For that effort, you'll probably get a 'Can Manage' verdict?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Many people have 'good days' when they can manage (just), but the 'bad days' must be emphasised when explaining the difficulty in doing everyday 'mundane' things.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Spend less time on this website and help with the housework...obviously you have not thought of this...and I, will be blamed,or ridiculed by your swerving arguments, as you usually do to people who dare to give you a 'rough time' in argumentative, logical posts.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

morddwyd, I'll hold him down while you run over him.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Spend less time on this website and help with the housework"

I can assure you that the housework is shared, I do the beds, washing, ironing, vacuuming, washing up, breakfast, tea, and prepare lunch (though my wife cooks it). My wife does the rest.

I normally visit this site twice a day, around 7 in the morning, before getting up, and 7 in the evening just before I retire for the night, though I do sometimes have a quick look in at other times, and spend up to an hour each time.

At the moment it is about the only chance I get to "meet" other people, and I would be a bit reluctant to give it up.

This is not a moan, by the way, there are others far worse off, this is just a reply to HB's comment.

The result of the assessment, by the way, was that our needs are "substantial".

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morrdwyd - I admire your 'muckin in' with the housework. I hope you get good practical help from social sevices.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

morddwyd...."around 7 in the morning, before getting up, and 7 in the evening just before I retire for the night." Are you in bed for 12 hours? I am lucky to get to bed by 11 or 12 and am also up by 7. Mind you with your work schedule I can see why you are tired!! My wife also disabled but is able to do more in the house.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"before getting up"

A computer in your bed!! Luxurious indolence.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I was always under the impression that older people need less sleep. But now that I am in my eighties,I find that with my back pain, I am completely exhausted by eight in the evening. Of course I sometimes think the medication for the pain may be a contributing factor. But I am just so done in by eight in the evening that I am glad to get into a horizontal position. I sleep right through and when I awake about 07.00 hrs it takes me a lot of time to pluck up the courage to put my feet on the floor and force myself to get up. Because to be quite honest it hurts a lot. However the need to go to the toilet gets me out and once I have walked the first ten steps or so I can then carry on. I need numerous rests during the day and that is when I visit my computer. I force myself to walk about a mile every day but when I get back from that I need a long sit down. Like morddwyd I do most of my own housework until my sister-in-law comes over for the weekend. But lots of sleep seems to be the order of the day, especially if you are suffering from pain.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I hope you get good practical help from social sevices."

None.

We don't qualify.

We're too rich. My wife gets the Higher Rate of DLA and I have a service pension.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes